Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread >

Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

I got nothing.

1 doe.

Got some rubs showing up tho.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:56 AM

Passed on two little bucks last night right at dark. They stood nose to nose for awhile thought I was going to get to witness a little pushing match. They then went right by where my doe in heat had been put out without so much as a sniff at it. May be alittle early yet around here. This dang moon is keeping everything until 10 minutes to dark right now. Should get better soon though.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Shot another doe last night. Shot it from a hunters view ground blind. I like this thing. Turkeys dont even see you in there. I had 2 of them within 10 yards with the windows half way down & they never knew I was there. I was even drinkn a dunkin donuts coffee & thought theyd see the cup but nope. If I only had a tag. [:@] I got a couple now but they havent been back. Theyre there alot but dont seem to follow trails like deer.

Anyhow back to last nights deer. I open the windows around 5 or 6 inches I guess & I practiced in my yard so I know I can make it thru there. Well I shot rght thru my blind. Didnt even realize it till I was goin for the deer & closin the window, 2 nice 3 blade holes goin thru it. [:'(] Amazingly it didnt seem to have much effect on the shot. She was anglin a bit towards me at 20 yards & maybe 9 feet down. I was trying to hit tight behind the near shoulder but got her 5 or 6 inches back. Arrow went in half way up maybe 6" behind the near shoulder, thru one lung, probly thru the liver but it was messy & getting dark so I cant say, thru the gut, thru the off side leg breaking the bone & kept going. She dropped in sight maybe going 30 yards. I'm suprised she went down so quick. I thought she was closer to broadside but maybe she heard the arrow going thru the blind & moved.
Dont really matter now tho.
Now I need a buck!

Good hunting!
Old 10-30-2004, 10:23 AM

congrats on the doe sounded like a nice hunt!!
Old 10-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey congrats. Thanks for the story.
This "job" thing is interferring with my hunting!
May have to do something about that.

I've seen some MONSTER bucks, but too far out for bow shots.
But I believe that if I keep on trying and keep adjusting and scouting this new land I have to hunt, I'll stick one of em before long.

Good luck guys.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

farmcntry,

My jobs gonna start interfereing next week once the time changes. I'll be able to go out for a few hours in the AM but its going to be real close to dark before I'm out. Might be a blessing tho as I'm down to 2 hunting spots this year.
One property is just shy of 3 acres but it abuts a large parcel thats barely hunted & my spots a kind of funnel they use to go in & out of the big piece to feed. Once the time changes I mostly go there on saturdays & with me not there almost every night they get more comfy & less edgy. All 3 of my deer this year have come from this property, 2 from the blind & one from a climber & they were all within 20 yards of each other. The other property I'm on this year is only 1.5 acres & almost all yard but the deer come thru alot too, just mostly after dark & before light. I had 3 right under me last thursday but it was too dark to shoot. Still it shows promise as I'v only sat there 3 afternoons & one morning (this morning) and I'v seen deer so I might focus on his land for a week or so & let the other one rest.
I work in construction & last year had a couple contractors let me hunt on job sites with good sucess. Got my first one off one of those sites. I just hollowed out a small spot in a pile of wood chips they were feeding behind & sat down & a big doe walked around it & looked at me from less than 20 feet. She looked for a few seconds & just started feeding. Wish they were all that easy.

Good luck guys!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:57 PM

Bucks are starting to chase around here. Passed on 3 different bucks last night. One little 8 point and a couple of fork horns. The chased a doe around my stand for about 5 minutes. She would even stop and wait for them if they got off her tail. So I would say she was ready as well. Going to concentrate alittle more now. Still waiting for something nice. Keep you posted.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:46 AM

I went out last night and saw a whopper 5x5 but the deer were already in the field. My hunting partner was late so we had to improvise. We ended up sitting in some thick brush. I tried some rattling and grunting, the buck came my way a bit but then decided he liked the smell of the the doe a little better. He had his nose to the ground the whole night chasing her around. I must have tried a hundred times to grunt him in, he would always stop and look but then go about his other business. I even tried making it sound like I was leaving a scrape. I sprayed doe urine to hope he would catch a whiff of that and he just stuck with that one doe. I am going out again Friday morning with the doe decoy and some tinks 69 doe in rut lure. Hopefully I can lure him within range. Friday morning to do some bowhunting and then gun season opens at 12:00 noon. I am hoping to tag out with two big bucks on the same day. That would be awesome.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

I am hoping to tag out with two big bucks on the same day.
If you did, the rest of your hunting life wold never live up to that.....but, hey, I hope you do. I sure as hell would love to get 2 big bucks in a day.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 AM

Well gun season and bow season are open now. The land owner of the land I bow hunt on gun hunts so I have to wait until after gun season to get out bowhunting again. I never got my double on opening day of gun season either. Havent seen alot of deer there are way to many sunflower and corn fields still up.

Quick Reply: Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.