Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread >

Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Things are lookin' good here. Of course everything in the whitetails world is changing at a very rapid pace here. Over the last week many farmers have already begun to pick both corn and beans. Also, many alfalfa and clover fields have had their last cuts. The leaves are also begining to turn and it seems that the woods are starting to thin out a bit now. Have been seeing regular buck movement in and out of the standing corn. Mast also looks pretty decent this seaosn and should be dropping over the next couple of weeks. I have got a handful of bucks using mock scrapes and I'm confident a couple should be "shooters". I want to try my best to contribute to this team but I'm faced with the dilema of what exactly to "settle for". One thing is for certain, being as how only the first buck counts towards this contest, I'm not sure what exactly I should drop the string on? I will probaby try to hold out for as long as possible. This year I will be doing alot of hunting on my own property and to tag a deer of this farm I want it to be a dandy. Last year I took a 130 class buck ONLY because it was my first deer shot there so I just really went with the buzz. This year I would like to take a better animal or just enjoy the show. I promise to try to do the team proud on what should shape out to be a very good season. Best of luck to all you guys and lets put some "Wall Hangers" down for the count this fall.

One thing is for sure, over the next couple of weeks the entire game will change and I HOPE that it increases everyones chances to tag a monster. Shoot straight brothers
Old 09-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw another nice buck enter property that I have permission to hunt on tonite. Season is looking good, I just need to get the Liberty retuned after the limb problem. Luckily, I have until October 16th.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Know what you mean cornfed. Fields are starting to be taken out here also!!

By the way...good luck this season. Haven't chit chated with you too much lately. Hope everything is going good and get another monster like that other!!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:13 AM

Just a few more weeks til our opener here in Texas. I don't hunt here much. I'm counting the days till my Iowa trip. For those that know that part of the country well, what would be the optimal week to be out there? I'm guessing Nov 8-14th. I can go anytime, but only for a week.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:59 PM

Well, as it turns out, I am leaving for Iowa tonight. They are expecting the first frost Saturday morning. I will be putting about 28 hours on stand over the next 3.5 days. Hopefully a "wallhanger" will get in range. If so, I will have some pics to show when I get back. Good luck and be safe to the rest of ya'll going out this weekend.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA opens tomorrow (Sat). I'm not available in the morn but I'll be in the stand for the afternoon primetime. Unless it's a bruiser I won't fill my tag but I'll be in the spirit of the contest if one shows. I'll be in the stand every waking hour I'm not working for the next 6 weeks....good luck to all....Team Wallhangers, let's bring it home.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well my second night in my one stand proved productive...at 5:40 I had a small 3 pt walk by and bed a mere 60 yards in front of me in the open. Nothing between him and I except air but I was 25' up in a tree wearing ASAT...I don't understand all the talk about being busted wearing ASAT. He was facing me and I was able to swat mesquitos, swat at a pesky bee, raise and lower my bino's constantly and even raise my leg to snap my knee from time to time and at no time did this buck see me....anyway, he layed there a half hour and then stood and stretched and wondered off. He was great company for a while and I made sure to pay attention to where he was looking from time to time. At 6:20 two fawns came into the CRP field and when they started looking towards the thicket....I did as well only to see horns again....but it was a 5 pt I have on game camera....although legal and he would have put us on the board, I think he needed at least 2 more years of growing so I passed.....I have faith in my teammates....and hopefully in myself as well..Good luck Team Wallhangers.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:27 AM

Well, no deer to brag about from Iowa. I hunted 3 mornings and 3 afternoons. I saw 36 deer in that time period. All does except 7 bucks. They were all small. The biggest was a 6 point. About 25 of those that I saw were in bow range and two of the bucks walked right under my stand the last night. On the bright side (I think), I jumped a very nice larger deer on the way to stand the first evening. I couldn't tell how many points but his rack was a good 1-2 inches outside his ears. I'm going back the first of November and see if he will show his face again. Til then, I'll keep practicing and hope the rut kicks in when I go back.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

UPDATE. Developers have cleared rows in our property for surveryors to start after hunting season. I set up a few new stands in places i could never get to, mainly one spot that already has about 15 rubs, the largest being the size of my leg. I hung the stand, and sat for about 15 minutes when I see the largest typical I've ever seen in person. I know where I'll be opening day
Old 10-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an update from Cloud 9........been out 5 times. 3 times I saw absolutley nothing! The first big doe I saw I shot. Last night I saw a doe and two fawns. I HAVEN'T SEEN A BUCK YET!

Keeping at it...................Later

Quick Reply: Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.