Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "The Big 10 "   (10) Thread >

Official Team "The Big 10 " (10) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "The Big 10 " (10) Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team "The Big 10 " (10) Thread

Looks like we finally scored a buck. Congratulations. Now we want some pictures and a score on the board. I still have a lot of hunting season left here in Ohio.Shot gun the week after Thanksgiving and muzzle loader after Christmas and bow until January 31. Last year a kid killed a 14 point the next to last day of season. still waiting on that big boy to walk by and make a mistake. Should be a good weekend in Ohio this week, cool night temps and day temps in the 40's. I'll be out and maybe put another on the board for us.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:48 PM

Shot another doe tonight, up at my friends grandfathers, trying to put them crop damage tags to good use, the ruts in full swing up here in western N.Y. , bucks chasing does all day long, my buddy seen a 150 class 10 point tonight at 15 yards behind him chasing a doe could't get him to stop, what a bummer. Not a bad night 8 doe 2 buttom bucks and a half rack 8 pointer. Thinking about going to my spot and doing some herd managment tommorrow night , try to get that buck to doe ratio down. The doe I shot ran 50 yards and piled up. Top of the heart and both lungs, seem to be my shot for some reason all of a sudden this year. I've been pretty lucky so far, all that practice pays off. Good luck folks. If this was a doe contest big ten would wipe everyone out.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:18 PM

HEY EVERY ONE!!!!

Good news, I’ve officially got us on the board. i know lou lou got a deer, but I’ve got the picture and score out there already, so at least we've got some numbers by out team now. Anyway since i couldn't put the story out there, I’ll unravel the price less morning here. . .

. . . Well to start, I’ll admit that i was a little late getting into the tree, but it was still before shooting light. I had had one hell of a practice the night before, from hockey so i was a little slow waking my self up. one i got to where the tree stand was, i hung the sent bombs for what was probably the latest i was gunna use them this year any how. So i got up in the tree with about 15-20 minutes before shooting light (lol). As i was looking at the bow just waiting for the pins to start to glow, i noticed a noise from behind my left shoulder (the south end of our land). I knew right away that there was no way that the sound was from a squirrel, not this time. This all took place over the next 20 minutes, it seemed like an hour, but a group of deer that must have been kicked up by a hunter that was even more sleep hungry then me musta just been getting to their stand. In the group of at least 10, 4 had gone by before i could really see them. Over the next 20-25 minutes, the best moments of my life played out. i saw another 4 that had gone by, now that it was light out, but nothing seemed to have a rack. After thinking the whole rush was over, i heard another on coming, it was a doe all that played through my mind was WHERE IS THIS RUT I'VE BEEN AFTER?!?!?! Then i heard a loud snap, i said to my self "those damn doe just wanna keep rubbing it in don't they?" Then he walked out, to my relief it was a buck that had potential, nothing worth passing up like i had the past weekend (get to that weekend later), but a damn nice buck. Since the only thing i could really go by was the size of it at about 70 yards through trees and vines, i didn't know yet if he was the one i wanted to take. After grunting about 4-5 times, he finally stopped. i heard some noise like he was playing with the vines and branches with is rack, and after about 60 seconds, which at the time seemed like an hour, he turned. i donno if it was the biggest miracle that i was ever given, or if it was the fact that my dad had spent the last year and a half making our property a place that the deer wanted to come to rather then the surrounding property. i told my self that it was both, and that God had placed this deer in front of me to draw my dad and i closer, and prove to me that dad was still in the sprit of the woods. Either way, it was that deer’s time. With him closing the gap of 70 yards in to 50, then 30, then 20 after being stunned with amazement, and joy, i realized i need the bow to be drawn to get him, so after he stopped behind the tree i drew. He was about 15 yards and walking at a very very slow pace. i made a bleat noise to try and stop the beast to stop but it didn't work, i finally got a clearing with him taking 4 more steps, and said "THERE" he was in the last clearing i would have at him. I also thought "This ones for dad, this one’s for him. He’s in my veins, no accident will keep him out of the woods" That’s when i shot at everything i had been anticipating for the last year. THWACK the deer was hit with 475 grains of steal, and carbon. he took off like a bat outta hell, and came to a dead stop about 50 yards away, looking around at the woods in the opposite direction that i was, the buck took one last look at what i had to drag him out of about 200 yards. he started to stager to his left, and over corrected to his right and collapsed. it was by far the coolest thing that i had ever seen in my life. After that, i radioed the half awake dad, ran down the ladder, and stood over the trophy. the fatal hit ended up catching both lungs, and left on hell of a blood trail. so sorry to amble on, but i had to share the whole thing with you guys, bcuz this has been one of those moments that i wouldn't trade for the world, i got my first buck with a bow, and a damn nice one.

The score on him was 98 1/8

Really thick rack, nothing wide, but tall. So good luck to every one else, and i hope your time in the woods is as good to you as it was to me, bcuz this was the best weekend of my life

Good luck

-Hoyt

-Oh yea-

The deer i saw the weekend before was. . . . . . Saturday around 10 the biggest buck I’d ever seen walked by, at about 40-50 yards, to far for a lethal/clean kill, then Sunday i saw a decent 6 that i passed on, and a nice i 8 at about 40 that i damn near took. But that was it. (Big rut lol)

Old 11-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey BIG TEN,
Well what do you think of Hoyt14. I couldn't be more proud of him. I don't know how many of you know that my season was ended by a major fracture of my lower leg/ankle. I broke it in 3 places. Matt really saved me that time getting me out of the woods quickly and to the hospital. This buck he got this past weekend was the high light of BOTH of our seasons. Kids are a gift from God. Take them hunting and they will always be there for you. Good luck to the rest of you.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck, that's an awesome story. There is certainly nothing better than taking your first buck with a bow. And a perfect shoot at that! You thought you were addicted before, just wait!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey BIG TEN. way to go hoyt! hoyt, is wihunter your dad? nice pic of the deer. what kind of arrows are you shooting?

i only have 4 more afternoons of hunting before i go shotgun hunting for 3 days. then i get 2 more weeks of bowhunting. (hopefully i can get one before first shotgun season) and then we get 4 more days of shotgun season. good luck big ten. hopefully i can get one of the bucks i have been seeing. [the bad thing is i havent seen any of them the last week, hopefully they are still around] got till thursday to try and tag one before the season just hope i can get the opportunity.

lets go BIG TEN and congrats hoyt.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Great 1 st Buck and awesome shot!Congrats
Old 11-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry Ive been gone my computer has been virus infested. I also got one, Sunday October 24 I believe. A "nice" yearling 4 pointer, bigger than your standard little spike yearling, but obviously not a monster. It was my first buck ever with a bow so I was pumped about it regardless of the score. The thing is, I dont have a scanner or digital camera, so I cant post a picture, BUT i can mail one to a team member with a scanner if possible. One other thing, I havent scored it yet as I cant see it making a significant difference in our score. If we are really in it somehow ( ihavent been keeping up with it lately) I can do it. That said, here is the story of how it happened.

Was roughly 9:00 a.m. and I had not yet seen a deer. Was starting to get hungry and thinking of getting down and sneaking in for a nap. I decided to reach for my quiver and put it back on my bow. As I attached my quiver, I caught the motion of a deer 35 yards away, but oblivious to me. The wind was perfect and he continued on his runway scent checking the air, keeping his head high. I had already unattached the quiver and re-nocked an arrow. As he came into my shooting lane 29 yards away I gave a little mouth bleat/grunt and he stopped perfectly in my lane. The shot looked absolutley perfect, and he took off up a ridge in front of my stand. He stopped on top of the hill and looked around. I was sure I had hit him. He stood for roughly ten seconds and his knees buckled and down he went. I was so excited I crashed through the cornfield back to the house. Not a monster buck by any means, but my first (with a bow) so I am happy.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

we scored !!!!!!!!!!! congratulations! well we are on the board. i thought i saw 2 bucks killed by team 10. are they both scored? well i have been out several times this week and weather took its toll on me this morning. raining heavy and was no use. has been raining most of day here in central ohio so i'll get back at it saturday. i had a small 5 point(no brow tine on one side broke off) come busting ass behind me in a corn field and i grunted and stopped him. i couldnt see him, just grunted to stop what was running to get a look. yearling buck i'm sure so i played with his mind a little and kept him around : ) then after about 20 minutes or so he went on his way. i had a big doe come from same direction as he did but only in the woods and couldnt tell if it was a bigger buck that had ran the little guy off or not until she cleared the thick stuff. she bedded down 25yrds from my stand at 4:45pm and i though "oh boy here we go, need one of the big boys to show up after her" but my luck nothing showed but 3 other doe. where is the rut??????????? all i know is i am in a great spot both morning and night and with the doe bedding down and the other 3 showing up hopefully i will get a shot at one of the 3 different 10pts in the are we have on camera. would be nice to put us up in the points. good luck to everyone and see ya later
Old 11-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I had a feeling Hoyt would be the first one to get us on the board. Way to go Hoyt! I've been up to my elbows in work the last week and a half. Sorry I didn't see the post when it happened.

You Rock Hoyt14!

What happened to Lou-Lou's buck?

I thought I read he knocked one down.

Hoyt14 Rocks! Hoyt14 Rocks! Hoyt14 Rocks! Hoyt14 Rocks!

Quick Reply: Official Team "The Big 10 " (10) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.