Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Dry fire...

Old 08-01-2021, 03:29 AM
Spike

Default Dry fire...

So, I was cocking my crossbow. I was almost done I even heard it click as usual and saw the switch shift into safety, then I let the string go and it fired. I inspected everything. Limbs, cams, string, cables, nothing seems damaged after multiple inspections. Soo I fired it twice to make sure everything is fine. It fired just as before, like nothing happened. The only thing I noticed the my string stoppers were pushed back a little bit. I loosened the bolts, put them back to the original position and tightened everything back. I havent fired it since. This is my first crossbow, I had multiple bows before, but idk if this means that the xbow is fine. It's an EK Archery Blade+. Is there anything I missed?
Attached Thumbnails Dry fire...-224681507_1207969329719682_2778460049925206535_n.jpg   Dry fire...-224824623_163441089114604_6778241216288225541_n.jpg   Dry fire...-225444176_1896447627201443_2598162586625401594_n.jpg  
Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
and as for dry firing a bow, or X bow, doing so can do damages you cannot see to limbs and such( many times the damages are under things you cannot see, as in lamination, internal factors and such)
it can also cause the string and cables to become weak , stretch or??
and again in places you cannot see, this is why its so strongly advice NOT to do so and considered dangerous , ( over my yrs I have seen a few bow /and x bows come apart when one dry fired them, not a pretty picture and injuries typically happen)
there is a LOT of force and energy in a bow/ cross bow' from its limbs strings and cables, both when cocked and firing and before being cocked!

But as we all know accidents happen

NOW things you can consider doing??

One , would be contact the maker, and ask them there thoughts, explain to them , it showed all was cocked and then it went off , as if things were saying it was cocked, and all, it shouldn't have dry fired, that would be concerning to me some?
contacting them, they may ask you to ship it back to them to do a once over, as most OEM's are pretty scared of law suits if its a product issue!
OR they may just ask you to take to a authorized dealer to have inspected!
as they say safety first?
when X bows explode things go bad really FAST

if you DON"T want to do this/above

I guess if you wanted to just do yourself?
adding a new string wouldn;t be a terrible;e idea, there normally NOT so costly to replace, and can add a little peace of mind that string is all good

cables can be replaced too, but more costly maybe to do so!
and then limbs can be replaced and so on,
how far you want to take things will be a personal; deal, some feel safe with less some won't?
But contacting the OEM< would be the first thing I would do here if me,

other wise, its your call on what your OK with doing or NOT doing!

Old 08-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by AverageBowEnjoyer
So, I was cocking my crossbow. I was almost done I even heard it click as usual and saw the switch shift into safety, then I let the string go and it fired. I inspected everything. Limbs, cams, string, cables, nothing seems damaged after multiple inspections. Soo I fired it twice to make sure everything is fine. It fired just as before, like nothing happened. The only thing I noticed the my string stoppers were pushed back a little bit. I loosened the bolts, put them back to the original position and tightened everything back. I havent fired it since. This is my first crossbow, I had multiple bows before, but idk if this means that the xbow is fine. It's an EK Archery Blade+. Is there anything I missed?
Take your crossbow to a manufacturer's rep. You don't know if you damaged it and it if lets go you could loose an eye or worse. It isn't worth taking a chance to continue to shoot it, in fact , you took a foolosh chance shooting it after it dry fired on you. Something is obvious wrong with the crossbow or it wouldn't have dry fired to begin with. It is your life, but I would not shoot that thing again.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 AM
Spike

First I was thought the string stretched. Than I realized that the string stoppers got pushed back by the string and that's why the string looked stretched. I will change the string just to make sure, but everything else seems fine. I will contact the manufacturer and ask them. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2021, 08:48 AM
Spike

The reason it fired cause I didnt pull it up all the way, there is a little more room to pull after it clicked. I realized this just a few hours ago...
Old 08-01-2021, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

like I said, the biggest issue here is, damages that can have happened cannot be seen by looking at it
they will be issues in the limbs and or cables that the human EYE cannot see
this is why again, its a hard call on what to do here, as there is now risks that you cannot see to make a decision on, based on visual damage!

the risks can be a limb coming apart on you from damages again the human eye cannot see

think of it like a hail line fracture in a bone, your can NOT see it by looking at it or even feeling things
but once you start adding stress to the area, it will MAYBE break or fail on you causing a much larger issue!

I am NOT saying your llimbs or"X" have any damage, just saying they very well can from that ONE dry fire
it doesn't take a a lot to have something break!
the amount of stress \placed on the limbs, string and cables is VERY high, and then add in NOT like a vertical bow, where you draw and replace in typical a few seconds
a X bow will have that added stress added to its limb's for long periods of time, thus any weak spot will have more to endure and or cause a failure from the extended load/stress on it!

and again when they do let got, they do so in an explosive way!

so again, make sure you talk to OEM and see what they say before continuing to shoot it, and even sitting AS IS< can be a small worry as there is again stress on X bows even when NOT fully cocked!

Old 09-03-2021, 01:43 PM
Spike

Yea man I agree with others. It's one thing if your compound bow explodes but its a whole other thing if your crossbow does man. Let the manufacturer check it out.