Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New to Crossbow Hunting >

New to Crossbow Hunting

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to Crossbow Hunting

Old 09-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Spike

Default New to Crossbow Hunting

Hey everyone,

I recently started looking into crossbow hunting, and hunting in general. I live in a great area for hunting and I never really wanted to hunt until now. My problem is my parents don't believe in hunting. They didn't grow up in an area where hunting is big. I'm 16 and wanting to get my license , but my parents aren't too keen about me getting it. Is there any way I can prove to them that hunting is an okay thing to do? I'm just not sure because i've never been hunting before, so any help is appreciated.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to find some responsible buddies that already hunt to take you out hunting. Your parents are probably more concerned with your safety more than the fact you are hunting. Being in good company is a good way to earn trust. If they are really against it for moral reasons good luck.

If you get a crossbow I will give some advice. A crossbow is a cocked weapon and should be treated like a firearm. Don't be walking around with a loaded bolt. Be aware of what's around you when you shoot it. He very careful to not dryfire it and watch your fingers. Lots of warnings I know.

A compound bow would be a better bet for a beginner shooter in my opinion since I believe you have little to no firearm experience. If this is not so disregard my last statement.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Spike

Ask around, sometimes you can find an adult hunting buddy willing to teach you. PeashooterJoe
Old 09-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Spike

In addition to the great advice already posted, I would enroll in a local hunters education class. Most states require this of younger hunters and it would be a good first step in showing your parents you have regard for safety, both yours, and fellow hunters.
A question to ask yourself is: Will you eat the critters you are hunting ?. If the answer is no, I do not recommend hunting for you, hunting is about enjoying the outdoors, bonding with nature and respect for wildlife, not just shooting game.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you learn to enjoy all aspects of hunting, camping, scouting, firearm & archery safety, being wet, cold and miserable because this is 90% of hunting, the shot is the other 10% (if your lucky