Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question

Old 09-26-2014, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question

I need some opinions. Through some disabilities I have a license for Colorado that will let me use a crossbow in archery season. Which is normally no crossbows in archery season.

What sort of reaction do you guys think i'll get from the other bow hunters, and would you do it?

I wanted to ask crossbow hunters this question. If I ask in a bow hunters forum i'll just get a bunch of crap from keyboard tough guys who wouldn't say a word in person.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use it. If any bowhunter comes up to you in the field and complains you could always say that you would love to use a regular bow but are handicapped. I'm betting they back down real fast. And if they don't, that becomes their problem and not yours.

Some archers don't like them and claim they are too high tech for bow season. What they don't understand is that crossbows are an ancient weapon and have been found in tombs dating back thousands of years. They also used them during the crusades when the long bow was the weapon of the day. In my mind a crossbow fits in during archery season, simply due to history, better than a compound bow shooting carbon arrows with fiber optic sights and a 70% let off.

One thing though, a crossbow, despite what many claim isn't a long range weapon. I've used one for years and they aren't any better for long shots than a regular bow. The arrow, properly called a dart by the way, is much shorter and lighter which means you need a heavier broadhead (I use a 175 gr Slick Trick) to get the needed penetration. Since it is front heavy it will begin to drop very fast and very quick. Like in regular archer a 40 yard shot is about max for the average shooter.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's what i've researched too. A compound has a longer range. Plus, with a regular bow you can get off a 2nd shot much faster.

I've pretty much decided to use a crossbow, and retire my muzzleloader. I just wanted to see how others felt. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Bowhunting is you & the game! Screw what someone else thinks. It's funny, here in TN crossbows have been legal now for 11yrs. Before that about the only state around us that allowed them was AR. (I think TN might've had a medical exception for crossbows if a doctor gave you an exemption) I worked in the hunting/fishing retail biz in west TN from the mid 80s until 2006. ALOT of guys used to laugh at & bad mouth crossbow hunters, they call them whimps etc... (Honestly there were very few guys around that had them) Yet when 2003 rolled around & crossbows were legalized, man they couldn't get their hands on one fast enough!

I agree that I'd feel much more sure of a 50-60yd kill with my Switchback XT than either of my crossbows. But I won't shoot that far with EITHER weapon! I just enjoy using crossbows. My youngest son turned 14 in May & wanted a compound to begin bow hunting with this fall. So I bought him a Diamond Infinite Edge. He enjoys shooting it & I practice with my crossbow right alongside him.

If you are legal then YOU enjoy hunting! If they have issue then they aren't much of a person anyway.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Since those are the rules out there I am assuming any hunter you come across will no you must have some type of disability to have the crossbow so they will understand. I am sure there are a few guys who fudge the system and get a doctor friend to give them a permit, but those are probably few and far between. What it boils down to is the fact you know what you are doing and why you are doing it. Don't sweat what others "perceive".
Old 10-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

If it is legal the heck with them. It is your hunting trip and not yours. Let them know that in a polite way that there is a reason for being able to shoot the crossbow and ask them if they will pay for your trip with a compound bow. Bet they leave very soon. Why should you hunt their way.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

No trip involved. I hunt where I live.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was just curious what you all thought. It's not so much that I care what they think, but i'm rather short tempered, and i'll only take so much of it. I'm also thinking they'll turn me into the local warden which could become a pain after awhile.

I prefer to be left alone to do my own thing. When I see another hunter I just say hi, and move on. I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Pete I use a Xbow and could care less what other compound users think. As long as it's legal and you have your permit. Then hunt on!

Just my buck 250

JW
Old 10-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Spike

Good luck with your future hunts, hopefully no one will mess with you over using a xbow. At the most you'll only need to say hi and explain your situation if someone is really curious. If the person continues to question your use of an xbow, just walk away. Some people can be pretty invasive in other's personal business.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

[quote=vapahunter;4161958]If it is legal the heck with them. It is your hunting trip and not yours. Let them know that in a polite way that there is a reason for being able to shoot the crossbow and ask them if they will pay for your trip with a compound bow. Bet they leave very soon. Why should you hunt their way.[/quote

I can't agree more on the above statement: I been shooting archery back in the late 60's semi-pro also love to bow hunt for 45 plus years.I willl say after a neck surgery 8 years ago I gave up on long bows and now I did discover I have a few more herniated disc:
I would like t get back into bow hunting and Yes I did Purchase a cross bow .
I am set up already for this year bow hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.