Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

shot placement

Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default shot placement

where is the aiming point when hunting from a 16' tree stand? Do u aim high/low or dead on?. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aiming point would be right on. At close range, your arrow is already a distance below your sight. At farther distance, angle is decreased so that the effect on drop is about the same as horizontal
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Spike

I try to focus on the exit hole more than the point of aim. I find that when I visualize where the arrow or bullet is going to exit this will dictate where I aim. This helps me with quartering shots for when a shot is optimal.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Typically, you tend to shoot a bit high in that scenario.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted from a tree stand for over 4 decades. Here's my take.

A critical skill to be learned is to visualize the wound path. bugsNbows and VT Outfiter bothilluded to what generally happens to folks getting used to shooting from 15-25 feet above deer sized game. Think about the geomerty. Say a shot on a deer 15 yards away that hits 2" high of a perfect double lung placement from say a ground blind ..... probably still catches both lungs. Same shot from say 20' feet up, the angle takes that 2" high miss up towards the spine and downward at an angle and may clip only part of the off side lung. May even be a miss of anything vital. You can play around with a deer 3-D target to see what I am doing a poor job of explaining. Same if you hit 3" - 4" low. VT Outfitter's technique is a simpler way of saying what I am trying to say. You want that blade to cut through as much vital as possible. So the wound path angle has to be right.

Others may not have the same experience, but the shots I have the most trouble with are the closer ones. Say less than 10 yards. I usually set up 25' off the forest floor. And when I the flight of the bolt is say 1"-2" higher than I "aim", I end up with a point of impact way up on the animal and often have a long tracking job for me and Ellie Mae!