Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New York

Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default New York

They passed crossbow in NY for only the last two weeks of archery season.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I feel bad for you dude but sometimes it"s where you live, and I know because I live in PA and we aren't to far from being next!
daddus
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been for crossbows in archery season. Just my personal opinion. But now that this has passed the NYS budget after years of effort by crossbow pushers through many many tactics, including some very dirty ones. All I've read is how dissappointed the crossbow folks are. Instead of seeing it as a major victory for them in NYS. Some folks you just can't satisfy!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

BuckAlley,We have the same right to be in the woods as a archery hunter. I hunted with a bow since 1961 and quit using it in 2008, i have both bad shoulders rotor cuffs they won,t operate bad heart. Rich
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Buckalley,
it is stuff like this that divides hunters as a whole, if its legal lets rock and get some venison. We have enough division without us doing it ourself. As for me I have two reasonable shoulders but I haven't shot vertical bow since 1969 and never shot a compound bow.
Do you remember when compounds became the "evil" new hunting tool?? As far as I'm concerned a crossbow is the most clumsy tool I have ever tried to lug thru the woods and try to get it into a compromising position!! I should have videod my hunt last year, I'm sure it would have made joke of the year but thats ok I was still trying.
We as hunters need to stick together, enjoy and quit worring about everyone else, I don't know about you but I have all I can just worring about myself!!! LOl relax, hunt, enjoy. It may disappear for all we know.
Sat in a stand last Sept, the farm had an 8 point minimum with a 15" spread, when a very healthy 6 point popped out so close that if i had dropped my crossbow on him I would have hit him right in the head. But when I saw it was not a shooter all tension left my body and drained away. I had as good a time just doing that as actually shooting one. We need to relax and enjoy the great outdoors that God has given us. IMHO
daddus
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not trying or have I tried to divide anyone. I support bowhunting. I don't consider a crossbow bowhunting. I don't have anything against the crossbow in itself, I'm sure its a great weapon to hunt with. I just don't see it as archery equipment. I'm also not against anyone whose bowhunted, and are now unable to use a bow. For them I feel sorry for, and can understand their pursuant of using a crossbow during archery. That I have no issue with. My issue is if your more than capable of using todays modern bowhunting equipment, then why is there such a need for a crossbow? Thats where I have the problem. Sure their heavy and bulky, but they also hold a distinct advantage. No matter how you compare the two, its the truth. It may not seem like much to some, but I live and breath archery and anyone else whose capable of using a bow has had the same opportunity for many years. Its not my fault those folks didn't take advantage of it. But now archery hunters have to share the woods with crossbow hunters during the prime of archery season. Especially when they don't even have to take a archery safety course? They simply have to pay for the muzzleloading privilege, and have the gun safety course with crossbow in it, or go online and do the crossbow portion! That alone tells me something. On top the fact I'm disgusted with how all this crossbow legislation came about, and the dirty tactics that were used. It was only pushed through the budget now so Cuomo wouldn't look as bad after all his latest anti gun crap. Now he can say, hey I'm no anti hunter I just got the crossbow passed in the budget! Now he's a hero!! Its all about politics, and $. Its not about us as hunters! I'm just tired of bowhunters and bowhunting organizations getting the bad rap over the crossbow. Such organizations are no different than other specialized organizations. NYS Muzzleloaders fought against the Inline. NWTF has fought against small caliber rifles for turkey hunting. Bowhunters are no different becasue we truly believe the best thing for the archery woods is to keep it archery. IDC if crossbows had their own season, or a combined crossbow muzzleloader season. I'd be fine with that, and perhaps even pick up a crossbow myself. But overall the whole ordeal just burns my a** becasue I know its not about hunters, its about $$$$$. So who we all foolin?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

BuckAlley,
I was not saying what I said to start a loud and vocal discourse LOL
but to simply try to keep all of us "hunters" on the same page.
As for the legal theives in Albany or Harrisburg or DC for that matter
they are out of hand and no one has the sack to reel them back
and I certainly understand your frustration. These people in office forget who they work for. For you it is the folks in eastern new york and for us its harrisburg, pittsburg and philadelphia.
I feel your pain brother! This is all just MHO so do the best you can and I have decided not to worry about the challanged politicians
and just hunt.
daddus1
shoot a big one for me!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Spike

I'm a bowhunter, I use my mission compound during archery deer season.I've done this since before there were compounds. Then you either used longbow or recurve. Did the invention of the compound ruin archery season? No it brought more into the sport.

Now buck alley just what is it that you as a purist find so dispicable about crossbows in archery season? Is it going to keep you from hunting with your bow or you killing a deer? Or is your problem more with being selfish or what. Another archer could shoot your deer just the same as a crossbow hunter.

Crossbows shoot arrows they have a string under tention that when released drives an arrow to its target. Yes the tention is held for the shooter by a trigger but compounds can have so much tention reduction that you could probably hold some bows all day long, and lets face it, I bet your using a trigger too. Crossbows are older than the compound and are no more lethal than a verticle bow. Actually your compound can throw an arrow much farther than a crossbow. its called power stroke.

Maybe we should just have a deer season, all weapons allowed. What makes archery special?

Sorry for my rant but I see and hear stuff like this all the time. Most of it is purely greed and a unwillingness to share the woods. Bottom line is I'm a bowhunter and I'm not threatened by crossbows, muzzle loaders, rifles and pistols, or attilas. I count on my skills as a hunter to bag game. remember its not the tool, its the man behind it that determines success.