Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
quartering to shots? >

quartering to shots?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

quartering to shots?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default quartering to shots?

I have been hunting with a Parker Tomohawk (320fps) for a few years, never shot anything. This past Oct. i did pass a shot at a 145" 9pts at 37yds quartering to. Should I have taken the shot or did I do the right thing?
Also I have a giant i am getting pics of 45 yds from my tree. Will a buck "jump the string" with a crossbow at that distance?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be less worried about jumping the string - albeit a real possibility with the deer looking at you; I think they can SEE the arrow coming - than a wounded deer. Front quartering is a tough shot because the shoulder bones protect the vitals; and the opening into the chest cavity from head on takes real precise shooting. At 37 yards I'd likely pass too. Just sayin....
Old 12-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

37 yd quartering toward you shot,

Only YOU know your skill level, how accurate you are in a hunting situation. That's a good deal different than off of sand bags & target bench.

My bow is a Scorpyd 165, 105 fps faster, but no chance I'd take that shot. At 17 yds,......perhaps, I'd have to be there, but no way at 37.

And if this is from a tree stand like your second part of this question, then I do not believe anyone should take such a shot. That's a tough shot at anything over 20 yds at ground level for most, and just a plain no way if in a elevated location. 15-20'+ elevation even at shorter 14-18yds, is just wrong. The angle change to the shot makes a already hard shot a NO shot.

45 yrd. shot

If you have a chance at this buck while broadside or slightly quartering away, I'd take that shot. Your bow is plenty strong enough to give a full pass through at that range. And the farther away from you the deer is, the lower the chance/odds of a instant reaction (dropping to load his legs "jump the string").

Once again however YOU are the only one who knows just how accurate you are at that distance from a tree stand. If you've any doubts, put up a stand in your back yard & practice that shot in any & all conditions you'd be hunting in. Practice making full use of your sling & your stands shooting rail. Should not take long for you to be sure you can nail him at that distance if you've doubts right now.

EDIT:
I'd also look for a different & closer tree. A buck like the one you describe is one worth making adjustments to your set up for.

It sounds like you've some nice sized animals where you hunt. Given a bit more time you'll get some of them.

Best of luck!

Last edited by craig; 12-24-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

quartering to is always a bad shot IMO...broadside is best or quartering away..if quartering away aim for the opposite front leg...while I think theres enough energy in a CB at 40yds the bolt drops significantly after 30yds...so for me 40yd would be max with a CB for me..
Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

A crossbow is just a bow, just slightly more accurate. It's not a rifle. I wouldn't take a quartering to shot, just too high of a chance on crippling & never finding the deer. You did the right thing.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken quartering away shots with crossbows and the bolt gets stuck in the back shoulder after passing through the chest.. The bolts still strikes the vitals first, it is a clean kill shot. I wouldn't try try a quartering to shots with any bow or crossbow.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you did the right thing passing on that shot.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A crossbow is just a bow, just slightly more accurate.
Not true, check 3-D scores common to both......
Old 12-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing in passing on that shot. 37 yards with a x-bow is pretty long to begin with, and quartering-to shots are very iffy. I once took a quartering-to shot with a x-bow, but the buck was 7 yards away, not 37. I was fortunate that I cleanly took that deer (it fell within sight). It is best to wait for a broadside shot or a quartering-away shot, regardless of distance.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by awshucks
Not true, check 3-D scores common to both......
Free hand the compound usually wins.

But in a hunting situation, where you can use a tree stands rail, or a mono, bipod or tripod, sandbag from a built in shelf of a permanent blind built for this, to make you rock solid vs the compound archer standing with at most a arm/shoulder against a tree the better shot accuracy comes from the crossbow usually.

3D isn't the same, even though they use animal targets at unknown ranges on many of them.