Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Newby advice

Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Spike

safe choice - go TenPoint
Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows are a highly individualized object. What one persona likes or dislikes may not be relevant; besides there is always the get-what-I-got factor. Shoot as many as you can. And by all means call Dave (as stated above). He will maintain objectivity.
Consider the bow's reputation for durability, accuracy, ease of maintenance as well as the manufactures warranty, longevity, reputation for customer service and repressiveness.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Spike

take a look at the ten point titan extreme, very nice scope comes with it, the most accurate bow I have owned to date. Reasonable price, 600.00 is average, but lots of good deal going around now. Buying a used bow is risky, something goes wrong you can be in trouble quick. For a no muss no fuss that is the bow I suggest. Going to have to shoulder as many as you can and see what fits for you.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Spike

I bought the Parker Thunderhawk from BPS $550. The price was the same everywhere. BPS (Clarksville IN) is actually the closest archery shop to my house. If it ever needs service I'll send it back to Parker anyway. It certainly seems like a wonderful piece of equipment. I like being able to practice from my porch. thanks for all your input.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a couple of 'Velocity' xbows out there, one by Scorpyd [big $ but good co] and another from my googling the name.

I shoot a Y-25, which is a fancy stocked Exocet 200, get 310 fps w/ 400 gr arrows which suits me fine. Deadly accurate w/ BEE arrows.

I shot a 125 lb draw Scorpyd that a friend had here, great shootewr but heavier than I'd want. I was looking thru the scope at the bull at 30 yds and realized I'd shot it when the vanes appeared in the scope, centered in the bull, lol.

My advice qwould be to look for a used Exocet or Phoenix [warranty transfers] or call David at Wyverns and ask about a 10 pt Wicked Ridge if you like wheeel xbows.......
Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Spike

Practice is a great option. Go for it. If you are looking for a good one try your hand on Barnett Ghost 410 crossbow. It is pretty great.