Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
have a couple questions >

have a couple questions

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

have a couple questions

Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Spike

Question have a couple questions

I have been hunting for 40 years and about a month ago I bought a Jaguar 175# crossbow , this is my first bow of any kind. I didn’t really shop around I saw the jaguar and thought it was a good price so I bought it after buying it I started reading a lot about crossbows and I guess it’s a cheap xbow but I have read a lot of reviews about it and a lot of people think it’s a good bow. It came with a 3 dot scope and I didn’t like it so I ordered a Hawke XB1 , it should be here any day , I have been shooting it with iron sights and have been shooting some nice groups. I read that this guy twisted the string 14 times but the article didn’t really say why , does this give you more power ? What is the reason for twisting the string ? Also I was wondering if I should put a drop of blue locktite on all the scope mounting screws . Wow I never realized that crossbows were this complicated . The first couple weeks I had it were a real learning experience , it didn’t come with a cocking rope and I found out that’s a must have and the arrows that came with it were cheap aluminum so I bought some carbon arrows. But I am really excited about hunting with it and I am trying to learn everything I can about crossbows.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason for twisting the string is to maintain brace height. Most stings stretch with use before they settle in. Bow becomes faster as sting lengthens (longer power stroke) so the point of impact will change. Twisting (it in the direction of the rest of the twists) shortens the sting and maintains accuracy.
Go easy on the loc tight, you may want to get the screws out one day. Use blue LocTite at most, preferably purple.
After mounting your scope, turn the 'speed dial' to the approximate speed of your bow (try 300 if you don't know), then sight the crosshair in for 20 yards. Try the next + down at 30 yards. If the arrow hits low, decrease the speed setting; if high, increase it. (The 20 yard zero should not change).
All the speed ring does is change the magnification of the scope and thus the distance between the +s (aiming points).
Get some quality bow string wax and wax the string every 20-30 shots by applying it then rubbing it in with your fingers of a piece of soft leather. Also get some none tacky-rail lube and apply it to the deck sparingly. Doing both will preserve your string.
Keep your forearm hand well under the bow at all times...esp if you are shooting of a bench or railings where there is a tendency to lay the hand alongside the bow ...often with painful results. (Folks have lost their thumb that way)!
Shoot the bow as much as possibles, that way you'll learn it's capabilities. Try Slick Tricks (fixed) or Spitfires (mechanical) as broadheads. Both fly so much like my field-tipped arrows that I no longer practice with broadheads. Avoid cheap targets as some don't stop a crossbow arrow.You can make a target by stuffing old clothes quite tight into a gunny sack.
Crossbows aren't that complicated just different than verts. Holler if I can be of any further help. Good luck.

Last edited by Cossack; 11-30-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Spike

Hey thanks Cossack for all the info, i saw that the hawke XB1 has a speed setting and wasnt sure how to set it they claim that the jag 175 will shoot an arrow 310 fps i guess that varys with different arrows. i should get the scope today or monday , how do you determine how many times to twist the string ? or do i really need to do it im going to use it mainly for deer hunting.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some bows have a recommended brace height mark, I'm not familiar with your bow but I did find this: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=959983
The are talking about 7-8.5 inches between riser (end of your rail aka barrel) and the string.
If the brace height gets too low, not only will your bow shoot to a different point of impact but in worse case the string can come off the bow. Best thing to do is to keep shooting it for a while so the string stretches before you get concerned about brace height.
PS Speed does not increase as you twist up the string, it actually decreases. That's because the power stroke becomes shorter as the length of the string is shortened.

Last edited by Cossack; 12-01-2013 at 06:00 AM.