Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
When Deer season is over? >

When Deer season is over?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

When Deer season is over?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default When Deer season is over?

Hey guys, When the deer season is over, I was thinking what I will need for next year.

I want to get a few books on food plots, and I will need a target for my crossbow, What target do you all recommend? I am looking for one of those fake deer looking targets? I wish I would use my decoy as a target though with a field tip.

Anyways Looking for great suggestions on books and much needed gear.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reinhardt targets have good reviews. I plan on getting one at some point.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally make my own using rags and bags from Third Hand Archery for my 5 target range. But the Big shot stops shots from my fastest bow (365) at not more than mid arrow, is large and user friendly (relatively light, and easy out pull). Field tips only, but then using Slick Tricks broadheads I no longer find it necessary to practice with heads...they fly so much like my FTs.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got target recommendations above.

Will say you should probably save yourself some money and just use google for any food plot information. There is plenty of information out there and different types of plots to look into. They are fun but you need the tools for the job and if you don't have the tools for it then don't waste time trying to achieve that so early.

Gear im not a fan of trying to have all types of things for every possibility. I get what i need and i use my experience from previous seasons to determine what i may need. That would be your starting point. Some of it comes from what your planning to do or want to do but couldn't because your gear was limited. Like a rain suit or waterproof or all season camo to hunt in the rain.
-Early season clothes
-Clothes as need as season progress's you can get away with kmart thermals to be honest you dont need the $80 dollar layer system shirt or anything.
-Footwear - i have regular hiking boots, snake boots, and muck boots. i have the 3 because of different reasons obviously the snake boots for early season timber and such once winter hits prefer the comfort of the hiking boots and the muck boots obviously for getting into creek or swamp bottoms.
-Belt- always a must have unless i finally find a good coverall suit with sufficient pockets
-knife
-fanny pack or small pack - not needed but i like my small pack to keep water, hand saw, grunt tube and those things in along with wallet and keys, and tags.
-binos- your choice but if your constantly hunting close quarters within 50 yard visibility then not needed
-gun or bow and whichever ammo you use

thats it for me dont need anything fancy and soaps, detergents or anything i always get after season when they go on sale to clear the shelves, if you want to look and buy other things on sale at the same time its your choice but i prefer to put my money into things i need not on things that might work.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Got target recommendations above.

Will say you should probably save yourself some money and just use google for any food plot information. There is plenty of information out there and different types of plots to look into. They are fun but you need the tools for the job and if you don't have the tools for it then don't waste time trying to achieve that so early.

Gear im not a fan of trying to have all types of things for every possibility. I get what i need and i use my experience from previous seasons to determine what i may need. That would be your starting point. Some of it comes from what your planning to do or want to do but couldn't because your gear was limited. Like a rain suit or waterproof or all season camo to hunt in the rain.
-Early season clothes
-Clothes as need as season progress's you can get away with kmart thermals to be honest you dont need the $80 dollar layer system shirt or anything.
-Footwear - i have regular hiking boots, snake boots, and muck boots. i have the 3 because of different reasons obviously the snake boots for early season timber and such once winter hits prefer the comfort of the hiking boots and the muck boots obviously for getting into creek or swamp bottoms.
-Belt- always a must have unless i finally find a good coverall suit with sufficient pockets
-knife
-fanny pack or small pack - not needed but i like my small pack to keep water, hand saw, grunt tube and those things in along with wallet and keys, and tags.
-binos- your choice but if your constantly hunting close quarters within 50 yard visibility then not needed
-gun or bow and whichever ammo you use

thats it for me dont need anything fancy and soaps, detergents or anything i always get after season when they go on sale to clear the shelves, if you want to look and buy other things on sale at the same time its your choice but i prefer to put my money into things i need not on things that might work.
Thank you so much bro, I got most of everything you have mention I might just get a crossbow case and another trail camera.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look into information that I suspect is available free from Michigan St. Univ. Their school of wildlife managemnt shoud have plenty of information on what are good choices for food plots in the area that you hunt. In general, as soon as you can select where you want to plant. Take soil samples and have them tested. Most food plot crops are going to do well in a pH of 6.5-7.0. You can start correcting the pH now. If you are going to plant only cool weather plots, wait until say mid summer, mow the plots down and apply a herbicide mix that will kill the weeds, grass and any woody plants that are there now. A mix of generic "Round-Up" and 2-4-D will be very effective ridding the plot of noxious stuff if done correctly. If needed, hit the plots again about 2-3 weeks before planting.

I have found deer are more comfortable coming into a plot that is long and narrow, rather than one that is "square-ish". And they like a mix of crops. Down this way (SE Alabama) , a mix of wheat, oats, grain rye, clover and turnip works great. I am guessing that there are varieties of these that will work well up your way.

As far as a target that can double as a decoy ... I have no clue.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

For food plots I would say buy local.Shop where the farmers shop.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.qdma.com/ all you can read free!