Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
850+ lb Bull Elk with a Crossbow from Perry Co. Ky >

850+ lb Bull Elk with a Crossbow from Perry Co. Ky

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

850+ lb Bull Elk with a Crossbow from Perry Co. Ky

Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default 850+ lb Bull Elk with a Crossbow from Perry Co. Ky

The Courier Journal in Louisville KY had a great story over the weekend about a Kentucky native that harvested an 850-900 lb elk from Perry county Kentucky.

Since the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife started introducing Elk back into the state, the herd has grown over 10,000 strong. The elk hunts are by lottery only currently.

Bruce Brantley harvested this bull which had a green score of 371 with a crossbow. After a clean miss, he was lucky enough to score two more clean shots on it where it dropped only a few feet away.

It is pretty amazing to think that quality elk hunting opportunities exist in the southeast where they didn't a few years earlier.

Brantley's family had actually bid on and won his elk tag from eBay and given the tag to him for his 63rd birthday. You can see the article on the link below. After looking at the picture of this elk, I'd say Brantley had a pretty awesome birthday.

Kentucky Elk for his Birthday
Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned something. I had no idea there were elk in Kentucky.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by isatarak
I learned something. I had no idea there were elk in Kentucky.

Yeah, they used to be native to the Appalachians but were pretty much extinct by 1865 due to unregulated harvesting. The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Department started a reintroduction program and brought over 1,500 in from Western states between 1997-2003.

They have taken well, and Kentucky has the largest free ranging herd of elk of any state west of Montana. They say the cows have an 85% breed rate and a good survival rate for calfs, so it sounds promising for continued growth.

A lottery is run for tags. I think I heard that 10% of the tags are allocated for non-residents. It is a good opportunity for folks on the eastern side of the country to hunt for elk without incurring the expense of the trip out west.