HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your max sure kill range?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 PM
OneBear
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockytop
After 40+ years with bows, my shoulders have decided no more so I'm a rookie crossbow dude. I've been practicing for two months with my new Parker and am confident I can hit anything that's still in the arrows path out to 45 yards.
My question, with a crossbow sounding something like a .22 rifle going off, what's your experience tell you that your surefire that deer ain't going to jump or duck or spin out of the way arrow range.
I'm thinking my Parker should be a sure bet at 30 yards but beyond that, I don't have that experience factor to know. What's your experience tell you. Please, no speculating, experience only.
thanks
That is a tough question to answer as there are way too many variables. Every opportunity presents a different situation. Although myself or other experienced crossbow shooters are capable of consistently shooting accurately to 50yds, I personally am hesitant to shoot at a deer over 30yds away.
I believe to be an ethical hunter you owe it to you quarry to do everything you possiblycan to insure a clean, humane and quick kill.
To me the challemge and enjoyment of hunting any animal is to get as close as possible to minimize a bad shot/hit.. A persons ability to shoot accurately to 50yds or more is not any guarentee when hunting.
Each person (should) know their skill and proficieny and always, always hunt and shoot in the most ethical manner
In 40+ years of hunting I have never lost an animal that I shot. That s because I only take a shot when I believe I have a 99.9% chance of a clean kill. Conscquently I have never shot at a deer , elk, moose or other big game animal with a crossbow or vertical bow farther than 28yds.