Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

X-Bow Scope

Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question X-Bow Scope

Need advice on scope for a Cross Bow.

Have a 3-dot that works fine for me but am not satisfied with field of view, low ambient light performance and am concerned about electronics/battery dying on me. Looking to get away from having to depend soley upon a "light".

Before I get raked over the coals about putting a scope on a cross bow, my eyesight is such that open sights do not work for me. Cannot focus the front/rear together on the target.

I am looking for top performance. $$$ is not an issue.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Spike

mojo, i hada leupold 4x +bow scope on my old exocet...it was fine . when i got my new vortex i tried it out with the leupold.... i was good, but not as i like it.
so i grabbed my old faithfull... simmons pro-diamond fixed 4x shotgun scope with rear focus eyepiece !!! its been on ever since and the diamond reticle is sized perfect for the vortex, and my arrow weight configuration @ my distances.... it will stay thru this
up-come'n whitetail season...and maybe forever
just cause its less than $80... don't let it deceive you. i own 6 of these and have never had a problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Spike

For the money, I'd say that the Hawke scopes are the best value out there. Their MAP multi-reticle scope is not lighted....and for less than 100.00, you can't beat it. Their SR is a lighted multi-reticle....but the reticles are split with the lighted dots in the middle. They're making a scope for the new line of Winchester crossbows, which feature full reticles, which can be lighted...no circles. I've seen this scope, and it can be had for around 150.00. For that price, it's the best scope out there (IMO). Even of the battery dies, you;d still have the full reticles to use.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

scopes are common on xbows. just some states dont allow it so no need to feel raked. for me its a toss up between the hawke map and the excalibur varizone. the hawkes look a bit clearer but the reticle is a little too fine for me at low light conditions.if your looking for a real low light performer id wait til the new leupold crossbones scope hits. the hawke xb30 has good glass but for me has too small of a window on the objective lens and is heavy for its size. another option would be to use a single reticle scope and an optimizer dial for different ranges.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excalibur Vari-Zone or Shadow Zone
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the vari-zone on my Vortex and like it well enough. Although I did have to have it replaced (with no problem) due to blurry optics. I had a tru-glo reddot (3aim points) on my Horton TR175 and this worked good as well. The only problem with most of the red dots is having to rely on batteries.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with the Hawke scopes. For the price you can't do much better. I am a big Leopold fan, but these are priced better and cyrstal clear. I stock most of the ones for the xbow.
Pat