Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Excalibur models - Ibex v. Vortex v. Phoenix >

Excalibur models - Ibex v. Vortex v. Phoenix

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur models - Ibex v. Vortex v. Phoenix

Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Excalibur models - Ibex v. Vortex v. Phoenix

Is there much practical difference between 175 lbs and 200 lbs?

Is there any disadvantage to having the 200 lbs?

Also, does anyone have the "Pennsylvania red dot" scope that comes in a package? It is priced slightly less than other package.

I am considering taking the scope off and using a 3-9 Burris rifle scope with multi-reticle. Any downsides to this?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

1. The only difference is arrow speed. They will all kill anything in North America, if you shoot them in the right spot.

2. Ths disadvantage to the 200lb model is it is a S.O.B. to **** it; and ****ing it more than a couple of times in a row will wear out all but the strongest person

3. Most rifle scopes don't handle well the reverse recoil of a crossbow. There are some that do fine. Best to use a scope or red dot made for a crossbow
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot both; in fact just finished shooting the 200. I does not take much more effort to **** the Vortex than the Phoenix and certainly not like the 225 which I also used to shoot. Upside is a slightly flatter trajectory, faster arrow. No downside I can think of. The 200 is the PERFECT deer bow IMO. Personally don't like red dots, no magnification makes shooting to past 20 yards more challenging.
The Burris rife scope idea may not work as well as a crossbow specific scope like the Lumizone. For one thing, it's not made for forward recoil so reticule (could) be affected. The reticule's visual distortion (parallax) is set for 100 yards not 30-40 as for bow scopes . Moreover the reticule dots elevation spacings are intended for much longer range and flatter trajectory than is common with bow. The Lumizone or Varizone reticule spacings are meant for a crossbow and can easily be "tuned" to match the speed of your arrow for trajectory changes between 20 through 50 yards. I have Burris on several rifles and handguns and think they are a great scope, just not meant for a crossbow.

Last edited by Cossack; 06-09-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found very little difference between the 2 x-bows as far as getting them ****ed if you are using the ****ing rope. I now own the Equinox ( 225) and it is a little harder to get ****ed. Both are deadly x-bows, but I prefer the 200# over the 175# just because of arrow speed and flatter trajectory. I also prefer the Excalibur scopes over any Red Dot. They are top of the line scopes, and well worth the money.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot the three you mentioned quite a bit, don't care for the thumbhole stock models.

If you settle on the Phoenix, check out an Axiom package. Basically, a cheaper to produce version of the Phoenix and it comes w/ a scope, ect.

The scope doesn't adj for drop at ranges like the 'Zones Cossack described, but has same reticule I believe and it's preset for the speed and arrow weights you'll be getting.

The ultimate source for info on these Excals is Danny Miller, USA warranty rep in Oh, often has deals at [740] 483-2312.

Have fun!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out www.woodyssportinggoods.com
I order my stuff for Excal. there.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Spike

i like my vortex for the same reasons previously mentioned. i also have a vintage exomax and exocet. the max does take a lil more effort to Kock.
i use a fixed 4x pro-diamond shotgun scope on 3 of the 5 +bows i have and have never had any problems with over hundreds of shots......

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The $275 Phoenix I pm'd you about is a long gone pecan. It was a steal.