Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
compound vs crossbow. >

compound vs crossbow.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

compound vs crossbow.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default compound vs crossbow.

I have been wanting to get a crossbow but with there being a short season for them and they cost so much i have not. Well i worstening shoulder issue has became a issue for me bow hunting. Not so much the hunting but all the target time it takes to be good enough to ethicaly shoot at a deer. Well at the doctor the other day he told me to watch how i used my shoulder till it healed. I asked about bow hunting. He told me to hang the bow up till it got better. Or if it got better. He recommend a muzzleloader. I had just bought one but did not want to tell him i was shooting it but i guess it would not hurt me any worst.
HE also told me he would fill out the permit paper so i could use the crossbow all bow season. SO i am thinking about buying a crossbow for the 2010 season.
What are the pros and cons of the crossbow over the compound. Does it give you better range? Any recommends would be great. I want a good crossbow that will last me and one i will not need to replace for a long time.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

there have been a million posts on the pro's and con's on xbows
Call david at Wyvern Creations 603 659 0575 he will answer all
your questions and give you the best advice you can get.He is
straight and forward and will give you the best service you will
get anywhere,the best call you will ever make!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

What is better depends on your expectations.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wish I could say but I like em both...
I had a CB permit for 3 yrs,it ran out on Nov 4th but in Mn you can now use one durring Rifle season,they just change this law..

As far as range goes it pretty much the same as compound....Just dont buy cheep cause youll get what ya payed for.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Differences?

I don't think the range is any different really than an adult shooting a compound bow fairly well. I would probably have a 30-40 yd. limit with either. Crossbows are much louder than compounds. If you shoot at an unsuspecting deer, it should not matter. #1 advantage for the crossbow is not having to draw it in the presence of deer. My son hunted with a crossbow for 2 years, and took 2 doe. Neither went over 30 yards after being hit. He made two excellent shots! This year, he decided to go compound with a Diamond Razor's Edge, and he was shooting it very well. Bottom line is, a nice buck came up to him, 10 yds. away, and he tried to draw when it lowered its head. It busted him. With the crossbow, we'd have venison in the freezer and he'd have his first buck. The crossbow also requires less practice. I will be trying one of the suppressor devices to try to quiet down the bow though.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe I am way off base here but didn't PA just allow full inclusion of crossbows in every deer season?

If so then you wouldn't need to worry about a disabled permit if you wanted to use one.

As for the advantages and/or the effective range questions...there are others on here that are more knowledgable than I on the issue. However, I do have to agree with what Jeff posted above. I was in two situations last year where if I had been using a compound instead of crossbow then I certainly would not have gotten off the shot. Simply not having to draw makes a huge difference in whether or not you fill the freezer.

On the other hand a crossbow certainly does not "guarantee" anything...even the fast models. I had a shot at a nice buck last bow season and ended up missing because I misjudged the distance (actual shot distance was about 35 yards).

Having said that I do know of a few folks who do shoot deer at longer distances with crossbows (in comparison to compounds). They have made good shots with them so I would have a difficult time questioning the ethical component of that issue.

The downside to crossbow use, for me, is their size and weight. There definitely is a noticeable difference in these two areas in comparison to me toting around one of my compounds. Noise is higher too but I have not found it to be a disadvantage at this point.

Last edited by PABowhntr; 11-18-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Frank,

It's good to see you ol' friend.
Hope all is well with you !
Didn't realize you used a crossbow too, cool.
What kind are you shooting ?
Injured my shoulder and bicep in 2006 and bought a Scorpyd crossbow for this season.
Then realized I had healed enough to shoot my compounds again too so got another Bowman for hunting.
But I still love my new crossbow and have a blast shooting it.
Man, I remember talking with you on the boards here in 1999; how time flies !
I know, your post count is thousands short as is mine.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JOE PA
I don't think the range is any different really than an adult shooting a compound bow fairly well. I would probably have a 30-40 yd. limit with either. Crossbows are much louder than compounds. If you shoot at an unsuspecting deer, it should not matter. #1 advantage for the crossbow is not having to draw it in the presence of deer. My son hunted with a crossbow for 2 years, and took 2 doe. Neither went over 30 yards after being hit. He made two excellent shots! This year, he decided to go compound with a Diamond Razor's Edge, and he was shooting it very well. Bottom line is, a nice buck came up to him, 10 yds. away, and he tried to draw when it lowered its head. It busted him. With the crossbow, we'd have venison in the freezer and he'd have his first buck. The crossbow also requires less practice. I will be trying one of the suppressor devices to try to quiet down the bow though.
X2 Very well said JOE PA
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A few more thoughts...

First, I want to compliment Frank on the very impressive avatar. I also did not know he was using a crossbow at times. I prefer the compound, but I also have shoulder damage (different damage to each shoulder), but I can still handle #60 OK. Nice to pick up the crossbow once in a blue moon and still stick the center of the aiming spot. This is coming from a guy who was against legalizing the crossbow statewide for able bodied hunters. I might have one for next year, or a new bow. Can't decide.

The boy and I were in Cabelas Bargain Cave last night. They had quite a few Excaliburs and Hortons. The Excals were much lighter, but were also wider being recurves. The boy's is a Vixen, only 150# and not the fastest, but gets the job done. If I had $450 to "blow" on a toy, I could have had an Exocet 200. Not a Scorpyd, but half the price.