Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
String recipes, endless, flemish? >

String recipes, endless, flemish?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

String recipes, endless, flemish?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default String recipes, endless, flemish?

I am brand new to crossbows and I have an Excaliber Exocet on the way and want to get a few strings made after the stock string settles in and I get a measurement.

I shoot endless 452X on most of my vertical recurves. I've noticed most string makers here and other forums tend to make flemish strings for Excals. Is there a reason for that over endless?

I also use 8125 and Brownell TS Plus. Has anyone tested different string materials and what is your favorite string for Excals.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flemish are generally faster and stronger than EL - I make both for my bows - but less forgiving than the stock Excel string if the bow is dryfired. Suggest you use the stock string until you get a pattern down that prevents dryfire. 1) **** bow 2) engage safety 3) pick up bow and load.
Check out the Excal forum, Boo makes great strings and was very helpful getting me started.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Spike

Thanks Cossack. I can see a learning curve ahead with this bow with a whole new routine in shooting! I can't make a string but I can reserve one so I'll definitely give the stock string a work out.

Everyone says I should learn to tie my own strings. I already handload 5 calibers, fletch and crest my own arrows and have a few other hobbies that keep me too busy. lol I am trying to resist making my own strings cause I know I'd end up with 5 or 6 different spools of string and that many serving types as well. No, I'm going to resist.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I use almost exclusively 452X on all of my strings.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Spike

My BYC 452X is faster by 4fps than 8125 on my vertical recurve and quieter by a lot. It's not a stretchy string at all due to the little bit of Vectran in it but has not damaged my Korean ILF carbon-glass limbs yet after more than 3 years and 1000's of shots. All bows are different though and my Exocet might hate the stuff.

I like Flemish B50 Dacron on my old vintage recurves but I have always used endless on my modern bows. I hate the unending stretch of Dacron.

My string maker has just about every material available but only does endless. They twist up as easily as flemish but maybe I'll need him to pad the loops some. Once 452X breaks in it will never stretch or creep again.