Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow help sighting in >

Crossbow help sighting in

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow help sighting in

Old 09-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Spike

Question Crossbow help sighting in

First of all, I shoot a compound and am very new to crossbows. My dad bought a Barnett Wildcat C5 with the red dot sight yesterday so he can hunt during archery season since he can not physically pull back a compound. I brought it home to shoot it in the back yard, and at 10 yards, I am way low. After moving the scope back and forth, up and down, I got no movement at all. Anyone have any thoughts one way or another on something I might not be doing that I should be.

Thanks,
Kris
Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Spike

Default lots of clicks on the scope

You'll need a lot of clicks on the scope to get movement on the target. You may need 20-40 clicks to get sighted in.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

if the red dot isn't moving after trying the elevation & windage adjustment turrents then its no good. i got my red dot in on Mon. took it out on bench locked it in on mount. in 5 min i had it dead on at 25 yds shooting 1 1/2" groups
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Spike

I'll have to try adjusting more clicks on the up/down then. The first couple of low ones I adjusted about 16 clicks for. The middle and upper were after the adjustment, so I "assumed" it had not made any difference. And if that doesn't work, I guess I will take it back. Thank you both very much for your help.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off I always sight mine in at 20yrds. Even at 20 yards I have to give my scope a good 15 clicks to get any movement.

But that doesn't seem to be the problem on your grouping. It looks to me like you are moving alot, are you free handing?

I always sight mine in on top of a sand bag, so it won't move.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Spike

Yes, I was freehanding. I only shot at 10 yds to start out because I wanted to make sure I had an idea of where I was before I started to let em rip. Found my problem this morning though. I had to take the trigger assembly apart last night because the catch was not coming up to grab the string. I put the two pins back into the trigger assembly, but one wasnt as tight a fit and had come out. I noticed that when I was taking it back out this morning and noticed also that the mount for the scope had risen. So, no matter how much I adjusted, it probably would have always been low. I am going to stick to my compound after I get this one sighted in for my dad, but I will say it is a pretty fun toy...... And once again, thank you all greatly for taking the time to respond.