Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Odd Misses

Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Odd Misses

I have been watching my father in law shoot his crossbow over the past several weeks and something strange has been happening and I was wondering if you guys could help him out. About 30 percent of his shots will head straight for the ground. We were shooting a decoy and they will be in the grass or hit a hoof. He claims he is flinchig but I know flinching can only throw you off a bit. It is not the arrow because arrow from arrow things will change. When it happens the 10 point crossbow will make a weird sound like really loud. We changed arrows thinking it was the arrows from carbon to alluminium back to alluminium. Every carbon arrow went straight for the ground while 30 percent of the alluminium went at the ground. Like I said the noise goes with the bad flight. We also checked the seating of every bolt thinking perhaps they were not all the way to the string. I dont know much about crossbows.............. I think it is the bow your thoughts?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike

I have oly been shooting a couple weeks with a crossbow now but you might check the front bolt that hold the bow itself to the barrel.Maybe it is loose and thats the noise you are hearing, inturn throwing the arrows everywhere. Just a thought.
Clap
Old 09-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

the arrows are not seating against the string at trigger causing a semi dryfire. very bad will ruin limbs cams & string. if it continues after you make sure arrow is seated then its a trigger related issue & Ten Pt should handle it on warranty
Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

Somethings loose....there is a set screw under the riser that locks the main bolt in place. If the bolt is loose, but that set screw is tight you will think the front end is tight when it is not. Loosen the set screw and re-tighten the front bolt. 99% of the time this is the cause of inaccuracy...especialy this bad.
Wyvern