Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Whats an affective range for a crossbow? >

Whats an affective range for a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Whats an affective range for a crossbow?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

I keep it to 25 yards because I use a single pin and peep sight. Its dead on out to 20 yards and I'll hold a hair high at 25. Thats the same set up as my regular bow so I'm pretty comfortable with that. Tried using scopes and red dots and had 4 break in one year but thats a different story. When I used a 3 red dot scope I was very comfortable out to 40 yards on targets but I kept hunting shots to 30 yards because of the noise and time it took the arrow to get there. Seemed like it asking for a deer to jump the string. Just my opinion.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I've taken over 40 animals with my xbow, not that that makes me an expert, and all but 2 of those kill shots were under 25 yards. One was 27 and the longest was 37. I took the 37 yard shot because the conditions were IDEAL. There was a crusty snow on the ground, the deer had no clue I was in my blind and by chance I had practiced that 37 yard shot, I just happen to have had a target set up in my back yard and for whatever reason it was exactly 37 yards from my carport, I knew exactly where to aim and sent the bolt square thru his heart.
Without the snow I would not have taken that shot, the snow is a great help when it comes to a marginal hit.
All that being said ETHICS and MORALS should be an equal if not greater deciding factor on your max shooting range that the effectiveness of your weapon.
Good luck,
xbowbarry
Old 08-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Spike

Default Range

I can shoot my bow fairly accurately to 60 yards or so, but I am pretty sure I will limit my shots to 35 yards or less, depending on the target.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PA RIDGE RUNNER
I am new to the crossbow and own a relatively unknown model. I have hunted for a long time with several types of vertical bows and rifles. From my very limited experience with the crossbow they in my hands will be used very much as a traditional bow would. The crossbow does put a lot more push to an arrow than a reg bow but the length of push is much shorter and the arrow is much lighter. This is why I am limiting my shots to around 30 yds depending on the state of the deers alertness. Of course the bow noise has a lot to do with my shot consideration also.
Thats my limit also,can keep it contolled out to there.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting distance

i dont hunt with crossbow but i do shoot a lot with mine.any bow i would not shoot over 30 yds in brush.if you have nice clear shot at calm deer feeding ,i would take a 35 yd shot.i had chance at big buck last year at 33 yds.he smelled my code blue and was very excited.all i had was a back and neck shot.rain was coming at 7 pm and this was 30 minutes before dark.

i only take a clear shot behind shoulder at calm deer.so 30 yds is max i will shoot a buck,crossbow or my black widow bow.