Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Could use advice, need to move to Xbow. >

Could use advice, need to move to Xbow.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Could use advice, need to move to Xbow.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ten Point Defender CLS!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mondo104
I gave up conventional bow hunting several years ago because of a torn right shoulder labrum. Now that has been compounded by RA in left elbow. I am contemplating getting my doctor to sign a medical crossbow permit ( required in WI) because the 9-day rifle season is too short and my soul needs more time in the woods.
It seems to be a rather daunting and expensive prospect in getting the right equipment. I could use some recommendations on what crossbows and bolts have provided success.

Thanks!!
Mondo I have a simular circumtance ...I have trouble with my left sholder from were it was dislocated 3 times from playing football years ago and now old Author has set up in it ..so now I have gone to the X-Bow ...I shoot a 10PT Phantom and so far really like it ...its different then regular bow hunting but it allows me more time in the field and i feel more confident hunting with it ...good luck on selecting a bow ..

dd
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look into Parker. I own the Parker Cyclone, great bow.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Im glad no pa guys showed up to rant and rave about xbows! Lol
Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Excalibur Exocet.. Simple Recurve Design, Powerful and VERY ACCURATE.. I'm HAPPY as a Toad on a Toadstool!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have similar issues. Hunted all over with bow and a few years ago my shoulder started bothering me so bad I could hardly lift my arm. This went on and off for several years. I was back and forth to the Drs. and they kept telling me it was bercitis (sp). I told them BS...but what do I know....I'm just a lowly 'ol civilian. Well, it got so bad I couldn't even sleep. Finally got a Dr. to listen when I went in to get my broken leg looked at (fell putting up a treestand)Anyways, they did a CAT scan and found 3 things, a SLAP tear, Rotator cuff tear, andsomething to do with the socket being bad and my shoulder poping out of place. Hopefully going to get it all fixed this winter. I sure as hell am not getting it done til after season.

Well, I went in and got my crossbow permit and have been using it for the last couple of years. I still enjoy hunting the archery season but will say that it doesn't have the same "thrill" as shooting a conventional bow. Nothing wrong with that....I am just sort of a thril seeker type and like the rush of old school hunting.

I picked up a Horton for a decent price and it shoots good. I looked at several different ones and it all came down to money for me. Couple of CONS I will mention.....They are noisier than a regular but can be quieted somewhat by limbsavers and such. The other issue is that they are HEAVY!! I am right handed...so have to hold it up with my left arm...this is the arm that has the shoulder issue. It is pretty hard to hold it for any length of time. I would suggest you try and find one that isn't heavy. I maybe should reinterate...it is FRONT-END heavy...not really heavy overall. They are also a little ackward to get used at first do to being "cross"bow, as in the bow sits sideways.

Pertaining to your question on bolts....The brand you end up with will have a recommendation as to what shaft size they recommend you use. I have been shooting archery for many years and have hundreds of old shafts laying around. If I remember correctly 2219's are/were to common size if you want to use aluminum.

Finding places that have a variety of different types to look at/try out can be frustrating. Not sure where you live but Cabela's, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain sometimes have decent selections to look at.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to get.

WW
Old 09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by paparrucho
Yea call David, but then again the phantom cls from tenpoint is the best.

Nope the Defender CLS is the best!!!!!Hehehe!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I like Satire

A shoulder might start hurting after looking at the "new" crossbow prices.

I sometimes suspected the price increase came in force when all Pennsylvanians, regardless of physical health, can crossbow hunt in this year's archery season.

Let's face it. Most states wouldn't let you use a crossbow, unless you were a near paraplegic. It wasn't any humorist's fault.

Last edited by Valentine; 09-28-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Spike

Mondo, I hear ya trying to get a disabilaty permit. I wish you luck. I have had both rotator-cuffs operated on. The top bone (forget its name) filed down and pins added in both shoulders. And I still didn't qualify for a Michigan permit 2 years ago when I was still wrapped up. Racing quads and being older dont mix! I can now shoot a 70 pound compound with no real trouble. So I dropped the permit idea. But my son some how aquired my compound from me so I turned to the CB. Doesn't do me much good. I have a cabin and a couple other places that I hunt in northern Mi. But can't use the CB. BS Michigan laws. That's another story. I still have my Bear recurve. Talk about going from one extream to the other. But at least it's leagle.