Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Which crossbow forum is correct? >

Which crossbow forum is correct?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which crossbow forum is correct?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default Which crossbow forum is correct?

Don't want to start a feud but when Michigan passed the use of crossbows, I asked several questions about them on this forum and was led to believe although fun to use, they're heavy, noisey, and don't really extend your shooting range - (deer jump the loud string noise easier) so I kind of put owning one on the back burner.

After browsing another forum which is big on muzzleloading, I noticed a post about crossbows beinglegalized in Michigan so I responded with some of the points I listed in my first paragraph.
The next poster who owns a Strykeforce said I shouldn't listen to all of those (you all) so called experts because his bow is light, quite, and shoots really flat. He seemed to want to ridicule anyone that would think otherwise.

I just want to be sure that the info concerning crossbows I got from this forum is still valid and acrossbow is not going to extend my hunting rangeout to 50-60 yards? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Spike

Default RE: Which crossbow forum is correct?

Hello again, tp. You will probably get many responses to your question but maybe the real question is 'should I get a crossbow to extend my shooting range while hunting?'

I remember advice to you: You should shoot some bows and decide for yourself. You will then be able to determine if you feel you can take ethical shots to 60 yards, can balance sts with arrow speed, can haul it around the woods comfortably, etc. Or should you just stay with your vertical (which may reach out to 60 yards anyway). That way you won't have to decide who's preference should be your preference.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

What Ischa says is good info.
It's the same all over..you ask one question..four different people...you'll get three different answers..!

Find out for yourself...find a shop where you can shoot a bow or two and see what YOUR opinion is...!

You may as well do this now because IF you decide you do want a bow, your next question will be...which bow...then you'll get the same info..."find a shop that will let you shoot a couple of bows".

Mike
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Spike

Thanks Ischa and Mike - that's sound advice. Actually I got a chance to handle (not shoot) several brands at Cabela's here in Michigan and came away with the opinion these are really heavy and huge. Even the lightweight TenPoint crossbows were a bit heavier than I'd want to tote around plus my biggest fear is sitting in a treestand with a loaded crossbow andworrying abouthitting a solid limb and knocking both me and it out of my treestand. I still think I'll wait a year and see what the new users here think. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll find that light, quiet and flat trajectory are all relative when it comes to crossbow. They are nowhere as light as vertical bows, much louder (although some CBs are not a loud as other) and their trajectory is related to their arrow speed and weight. Other than the stock to steady the shot and being easier to learn how to shoot accurately, they offer no advantage over vertical bows. In addition to the negative factors you mentioned, generally speaking, you will get only one shot. Most cannot be cocked in a tree stand without MAJOR effort and movement, not to mention noise. They require patience to use effectively. But, hey, that's why I prefer single shot rifles and handgun too.
If you're an accomplished bowhunter, they may not add much to your game. Only way you'll find out if it's for you is by shooting as many different ones as you can.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Spike

Most people have preferences. There's is alway the best. The Strykeforce is a good crossbow but in Michigan I think it is too fast for the 350fps limit, I could be wrong. If you have a fast/wickedlooking crossbow, the DNR may hurrass you. I believe that as far as shooting more than 45 yards, you need to be very confidant in yourself. Anybody can probable shoot that far, but do you want to wound a animal and have it suffer if you cannot catch it? Over the 35 yards, the deer has time to react to the noise of the bow/crossbow and jump or squat.

Good luck in what you decide.

Dave
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

tpcollins,
If they are loud or heavy is all perspective. If you ask a fire arms hunter, they will not tell you they are loud od heavy. If you ask a bow guy, he will tell you they are loud and heavy.
Fact of the matter is, they are louder and heavier than a compound bow, but quieter and about the same weight as a firearm. You hunting distance is about the same as a compound bow. The deer can hear a compound bow as well as a crossbow. String jump is a possibility on both, especially on an alert deer.
Crossbows, like anything else, have models that are louder and quieter. There are quiet crossbows if you are comparing them to other crossbows, just like there are loud crossbows.