Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid? >

Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?

They just voted to allow crossbow here in Michigan so I guess that means I'll be cleaning out the closet to sell stuff I don't need or use. I've read some posts here alreadyand one suggested going to Cabelas and trying out several ones. Lucky or unlucky - depending on how often I go - I have one 20 miles away. I saw a post where someone suggested Excaliber, Tenpoint, and the Parker Phantom - I almost fell over when I saw the price tag on that one! If I get one I'll probabably get one better than I need simply because I don't want to be dissapointed with something and wished I got one better the first time.

Rather than list what the best ones are since that's subjective - which brands or models should I avoid? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?

Just out of curiosity what is your price range? than Ill tell you what to avoid in that range?
-Jake
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Notice that folks are not jumping in, likely for fear of hurting brand-sensitive feeling. I'll go out on a limb and name several brands I'd think hard about.
I'm hearing that Horton is having solvency issues. Would want to avoid
same until that's clarified. Generally speaking, Barnett has been the lower priced
bow option. My brother has owned 2 and has had problems with both. For that reason, I'd take a hard look at price/value there too. For me, it would be a choice from Bowtech, Excalibur, Parker or Ten Point. But that's just me.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

As far as price goes, I've always spent more money to get quality. Since I'm retired with a fixed income, less is now better. Besides a crossbow, I have to get bolts, quiver, scope, case, and numerous other items I'm probably not even aware of.

That said,if I head to Cabelas with $400-$500 in mind for a "kit", I'll usually wind up paying $700 or so to get something better. However, if there's one that I fall in love with that's going to run $1000, I'll either figure out a way to get that one or I won't buy one at all. Not to sound smug but I just won't settle for second best if there's something else that I really, really like.I'd rather go without rather than waste money on something that I'm going to be unhappy with. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

I would look at BowTech!The Strykeforce is a fantastic bow for the money, TenPoint has some great bows as well as Excalibur and Parker. The saying, You get what you pay for; is very true with crossbows. Choosing a CB from one of those manufacturers would be a good decision.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

The main ones to stay away from are the offshore copies.

Other than that...Barnett is slowly working their way up the ladder.
I would't be afraid of the following company offerings, in no particular order-

Bowtech
Barnett
Darton
Eastman
Excalibur
Horton
Parker
Ten Point

All make both, lower end and higher end bows and accessories.

Mike

Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not have enough experience with X-Bow hunting to comment on which to avoid. I and 2 of my buds have a Ten Point. Another bud has a Horton. These are all near or are the top of the line of these 2 manufacturers 2007-2008 time frame models. We have collectively had zero problems at all. I have taken only 4 deer with mine, having switched from a compound to a X-Bow middle of bow season last fall.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Mike Van Veghten

The main ones to stay away from are the offshore copies.

Other than that...Barnett is slowly working their way up the ladder.
I would't be afraid of the following company offerings, in no particular order-

Bowtech
Barnett
Darton
Eastman
Excalibur
Horton
Parker
Ten Point

All make both, lower end and higher end bows and accessories.

Mike

Said very well. All these are good and have upper and lower class bows. I bought a horton about six years ago, have used it a lot and have never had a problem. But I've heard there is some problems in the company right now, possibly in china too? not sure. I've also used a Ten Point that was a great bow. Go to a store and find the one you like....save till you have enough and buy it!
-Jake
Old 03-18-2009, 04:19 PM

To answer your question,The only one to stay away from is Barnett. IMO I have read many complaints where they came apart while shooting. There are many other good ones. I have an excalibur vortex and very happy with it.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Choose a good quality company with a great customer service.Look for a quality product with great customer service. No mater how great a product is made, there is still a chance that something might go wrong, this is where the bow you choose will pay for itself, customer service is very important.

In saying that, there are more then one company with great customer service (Excalibur, Ten Point to name a few). THe next thing you need to do is decide what your looking for in a crossbow, such as .......... do you need wheels (pulleys) or would a recurve do, standard looking or would you perfur the newer fancy furturistic looking, is speed important or is an average speed bow sufficent. All of the above mentioned will depend on your price you will need to pay.

For me, 175lb recurve is all that you will need for any animal in North America. I like the recurve because it has less parts, so there is less chance of anything to go wrong and I can do work on it myself without needing a bow press or a Pro Shop if anything ever does (great if out on a hunting trip). I shoot a 150lb bow and the Record Moose (archery) for Ontario was harvested with the 150lb version (Excalibur).

Hope this helps you some.

Quick Reply: Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.