HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbie - which cossbows should I avoid?

Choose a good quality company with a great customer service.Look for a quality product with great customer service. No mater how great a product is made, there is still a chance that something might go wrong, this is where the bow you choose will pay for itself, customer service is very important.

In saying that, there are more then one company with great customer service (Excalibur, Ten Point to name a few). THe next thing you need to do is decide what your looking for in a crossbow, such as .......... do you need wheels (pulleys) or would a recurve do, standard looking or would you perfur the newer fancy furturistic looking, is speed important or is an average speed bow sufficent. All of the above mentioned will depend on your price you will need to pay.

For me, 175lb recurve is all that you will need for any animal in North America. I like the recurve because it has less parts, so there is less chance of anything to go wrong and I can do work on it myself without needing a bow press or a Pro Shop if anything ever does (great if out on a hunting trip). I shoot a 150lb bow and the Record Moose (archery) for Ontario was harvested with the 150lb version (Excalibur).

Hope this helps you some.