Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bolt shafts????

Old 02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default Bolt shafts????

I would like to start making my own crossbow bolts (carbon)but I haven't a clue which bare shafts I should use? None of the finished bolts indicate the shaftweight/size on their packaging.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bolt shafts????

To my knowledge any crossbow arrow shaft will be ok to use. You should see a gpi which will tell you what your weight will be after you add the weights of your fletchings, inserts and broadheads or tips. Best accuracy will come where the front is relatively heavy. Look for something in the range of 13 to 18% FOC and the higher the better for crosswinds and broadheads. Brass inserts for the front insert is a good idea giving you the ability of using the broadhead weight that has the greatest selection, the 100 gr broadhead.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bolt shafts????

ARROWS NOT BOLTS. Just clarifying, common misconception.

From what I hear Gold Tip laser II are pretty popular along with 2" Blazer vanes

If I start to mess up my Vanes I will have to get into making my own too so not having to spend money for refletching the arrows.

Good luck and try some nice wraps. They are beautiful.

Brian