Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bolt Weight for Horton Legacy >

Bolt Weight for Horton Legacy

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bolt Weight for Horton Legacy

Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Bolt Weight for Horton Legacy

I have recently acquired a Horton Legacy 200 Recurve crossbow package and I'm pleased for the most part. The kit came with three bolts & practice tips. I am going to get some extra bolts and broadheads for practice purposes. And that is where the problem lies. I can't get a straight answer on what weight the bolt should weigh. 350 grain arrows are what is recommended, but does that mean that the broadhead and arrow need to weigh a total of 350 gr. or just the arrow itself? Anyone else that has some Horton Legacy crossbow info, if you could pass it my way, it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bolt Weight for Horton Legacy

The Legacy came with 3 CS MX bolts that weigh 416 grains. That includes the 100 grain field tip. The speeds they show are with a 350 grain arrow. I would stay with the heavier arrow.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

I have a Legacy (#175) and shoot 336Gr. Carbon Express "CX Crossbolt" arrows w/ 125Gr. broadheads. Brings the total weight to approx. 461Gr... They shoot nearly as fast as a buddy's Cyclone 225... perhaps 1/4 of a second slower at 30 yards using the same arrows. Oddly, when shooting his Parker carbon arrows with the same broadheads, his is still faster to target, but closer to 1 full second difference. We sat out one afternoon and shot about 40 arrows each and used the highly scientific method of: Simultaneously counting "1, 2, 3, shoot" and listened for the arrows to hit the targets.

We both get consistent groupings with our respective arrows at 30 yards, it's just speed that seems to differ between the various impromptu tests we ran. Meaning, both arrows shot consistently through each crossbow, his just has a higher FPM rating and 50 extra lbs draw weight.

I think that if I do anything differently, I'll swap the 125Gr. broadheads for 100Gr. broadheads... May that will speed up my arrows a tad.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speed kills, but more so check books than deer, lol. Flame away, but there's been more game taken w/ xbows at or under 300 fps than over, imho.