Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Info on Horton Legacy >

Info on Horton Legacy

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Info on Horton Legacy

Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Info on Horton Legacy

I have run up on what I think is a very good deal for aHorton Legacy 225 pound crossbow package at $250.00 that is only being sold this cheap due to our present economy. It has only been shot enough times to sight in the scope and I've been told that took only six shots. I'm an Excal owner but since this Hortonhas recurve limbs I am interested in it. My first crossbow was a Horton but I didn't like the dial-a-range feature and kept knocking it off it's settingwhen cocking it so I had to constantly keep checking it. I sold that crossbow within two months of owning it for one of my Excals and have never looked back. Unfortunately the Legacy still maintains that infernal antiquated dial-a-range feature but the price is probably too good to pass up regardless. However, I remember reading a thread somewhere about Legacy's having limb and string problems so I'm asking any forum member who has handled this crossbow to give me whatever info he orshe has about them. I've got until Saturday to let this guy know about buying the Legacy at this price.

Thanks to all in advance

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Info on Horton Legacy

You need to talk to Hotburn76 he owned one for a short while,he can
help you!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 AM

Thanks for all the info from the PM's guys and I'm passing on the Horton. Eventhough it is a pretty good deal, $250 is about like $450 tome at this time especially with the gas prices going up like they are, among other things. I'll stick with my two Excals and if I ever do own another brand of crossbow it will also be a recurve and will be owned in addition to my Excals.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Although I did not own one, I can remember only one guy on here that did, I think his name was something with Stacy in it, he worked on a oil drilling platform I think. But I am sure some of the guys had filled you in on his problems. I think Horton has a good idea, they just forgot to send it to the R&D department before selling it!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 AM

My opinion of the Horton Legacy 200 BY scpatterson

RE: Tomorrow is the big day BY scpatterson

This is from the only guy I know of on here that owned one and gave feedback on it. I found another guy that had one but he only mentioned the serving in his post, no feedback on the CB.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks Hotburn. That is the post I was looking for and remember reading awhile back. I passed on this deal even though I think it was a very good deal for everything you got. However, even though I would have less than half what Pattersonhad in his $250 is still a lot of money to pay for a lemon.

Thanks again to all.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: graveyard zombie

Thanks Hotburn. That is the post I was looking for and remember reading awhile back. I passed on this deal even though I think it was a very good deal for everything you got. However, even though I would have less than half what Pattersonhad in his $250 is still a lot of money to pay for a lemon.

Thanks again to all.
They may not be lemons today, Horton is a stand up company, but at one time they were maybe plums not quite ripe for the pickin, lol. iIpm'd you w/ info Jason found because w/ used bow there is no way I could tell if it was an early or later improved model. You don't read much about these on the various xbow forums, good or bad, at least I haven't.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Hotburn,had you mixed up with that Patterson fella![&:]
Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Awshucks

They may not be lemons today, Horton is a stand up company, but at one time they were maybe plums not quite ripe for the pickin, lol. iIpm'd you w/ info Jason found because w/used bow there is no way I could tell if it was an early or later improved model.
Sorry Awhucks and any Horton owner who may have read my post. I did not mean to imply that ALL Horton crossbows were lemons as my first crossbow was a Horton 175. I had great customer service from Horton when I needed them but just didn't like the dial-a-range feature or the safety location as opposed to the Excals. I've been a Chevy man all my life but even as much as I love Chevy's, I did own a Chevy lemon once. So I guess any company can produce a lemon from time to time. The Legacy that I had the opportunity to buy could have been a gem among crossbows but I just didn't want to take that chance after reading a few reviews of them. Again, I thank all who assisted me with my decision and hope I didn't step on any toes in the process

Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: graveyard zombie

ORIGINAL: Awshucks

They may not be lemons today, Horton is a stand up company, but at one time they were maybe plums not quite ripe for the pickin, lol. iIpm'd you w/ info Jason found because w/used bow there is no way I could tell if it was an early or later improved model.
Sorry Awhucks and any Horton owner who may have read my post. I did not mean to imply that ALL Horton crossbows were lemons as my first crossbow was a Horton 175. I had great customer service from Horton when I needed them but just didn't like the dial-a-range feature or the safety location as opposed to the Excals. I've been a Chevy man all my life but even as much as I love Chevy's, I did own a Chevy lemon once. So I guess any company can produce a lemon from time to time. The Legacy that I had the opportunity to buy could have been a gem among crossbows but I just didn't want to take that chance after reading a few reviews of them. Again, I thank all who assisted me with my decision and hope I didn't step on any toes in the process
No apologies needed, Horton should never have released that bow w/o working the bugs out of it. Imho, it was a lemon as originally offered. As to the D-A-R, Horton admits that it's an equal split on loving/hating it, lol. Don't worry about stepping on toes here, we all got steel toed shoes, lol. Sometimes it's hard to make your/my point via key board, my post was in no way intended as any kinda rebuke to you for yours. If I didn't come across that way, my bad, and I owe you the apology, lol. All's well!