Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New to Xbows question? >

New to Xbows question?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to Xbows question?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 AM

Default New to Xbows question?

I am looking to try my hand with xbow hunting after 40 yrs hunting with stick bows and compounds. I like the feel of the Parker Terminator as the one to start with. My question is the poundage selection of 150# or 175#. It doesn't seem to be much difference in the speed ratings. Some one told me that the 150# is more accurate than the 175#. I would appreciate your input. Thanks, Barry
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New to Xbows question?

whether its more accurate I dunno but I dont see where more draw weight would make for less groups. It just depends on the bolt combo as well as how steady you are shooting. Parker makes some good bows. I perfer excalibur though since its less moving parts and easy to work on but thats just me. With the handheld rope cockers any draw nowadays doesnt really matter. I always use the rope cocker to make sure the strings seated perfectly. Its easy to throw the string off a little using your hands.

I'd personally get the 175 but the 150 would be fine for deer.. I shoot the 225pound model for excalibur though and love it. Speed is my friend
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 150 & 175 Terminators are exactlythe same except for the cables &cams i think. the 175 model 340 fps. 150 is about 310/320 est. they both are same stock and rail.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

While I don't have any direct practice with the Parker bows....I can say once the proper "arrow" is selected, point, arrow weight, get the sight / scope is sighted in, etc.....you should be able to put base ball sized groups into a target at 30 yards.

By all the arrow items noted above. If you do all of your practice with one arrow style / weight, and then you try another weight or tip design (field tipvs. broad head), your aim will be somewhat off. You will have to get used to a given arrow weight, tip design...OR get used to having two (maybe three) points of aim.

Just like a rifle, different bullet types and or weights will require a different point of aim.

Shoot, experiment, have fun with it.

Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sold my 150 lb Terminaor to get the 175 Cyclone. Questionable move. Terminaor has more than enough power for deer and bear. Yes the Cyclone has a flatter trjectory (drops 6" beween 20 and 40 yards) but it comes at the expense of string and serving wear and harder cocking effort. They are both very accurate bows...but then, so are my Excal Phoenix and Vortex.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

The diferance between the 150 and 175 is the limbs. There is a 20fps diferance between the two, and the 150 is a bit quieter and a bit easier to cock but no where near as popular as the 175...I sell stacks of them. They are both equal in accuracy, but an upgrade to Gold Tip arrows can make a nice diferance in the groupings

Wyvern