Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How many states allow Xbows?? >

How many states allow Xbows??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How many states allow Xbows??

Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many states allow Xbows??

Are there any or many states that allow crossbows for everyone who wants to use them? If there is, are compound users moving over to Xbows? and has it resulted in a higher or lower overall take.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many states allow Xbows??

Planter: They are legal to one degree or another in 47 states. They are illegal in Nevada, New York and Oregon. They are legal archery in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Wyoming, Maryland, Ohio, Tenn, and Virginia. They are legal by age limit [varies] in La. Miss. and Wisc. There's a multitude of states where they are legal during firearms seasons, and all the rest have some form of handi-capped allowances. You can find this data on "Crossbow Hunting" forum. It's kind of a constantly changing thing and hard to keep up with. For all you ACF members, there's a list of regs. state by state in every other issue or so of HBM. For you non-members, there's alot of twang for the buck there.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:24 PM

I have seen info on the deer hunting results you are asking about but cant remember if it was on here orposted by someone on another forum. They said that it did not affect a mass slaughtering of deer like the P&Y anti groups would like you to think. They did notice a larg increase in tag sales to seniors, youth and women. But most of the antis/ long bowerswould like to think that is a bad thing. I think rebal hog was the guy who posted a fact sheet on this once, not sure though.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

In AR we have had a x bow choice for a long time they took the do not discriminate to heart and believed it. This is last season I believe

Archery 2899

Crossbow 1230

Muzzleloader 7428

Modern Gun 57258
Lee
sorry it looked ok when I loaded it then this set up scrambled it
http://harvestreports.agfc.com/StateWide.aspx
Old 07-05-2006, 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

In AR we have had a x bow choice for a long time they took the do not discriminate to heart and believed it. This is last season I believe

They are going to stop the CB season? For all or some?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

They are going to stop the CB season? For all or some?
I believe he was referring to last season's harvest figures .
Old 07-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was a posting on Ohio's harvest statistics on another forum by a guy named "Wabi". I believe it went back to 1979, and the gist of a rather lengthy post was that they had constant steady increases in season length, bag limits, more hunters, ect. All positives. I believe the number of xbowers eventually became near double the vert users, and w/ seemingly no ill affects. I know here in Arkansas, I have seen none of the bashing or snide remarks from anyone, they are just accepted for what they are, another tool.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hotburn76,
kevin1,was correct,I was referring to last season.No, they are not planning any changes.
As a point of interest,the kill per given number of archers is averaging about the same,which does not suprise me [I shot long and compound bows for 60 years] the real differance is in the amount of wounded that get away;which is very few for xbow. Lee
Old 07-05-2006, 05:24 PM

Dang! had me worried for a second! I red it closer and understood it better the second time around! Me and lee are lucky since we were the first states that didn't have selfish DNR or ones that are paid off by the P&Y anti groups.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Also almost forgot since lee found some digits I went looking and found some too!

2004-2005 season

Gun 123,041
CB 35,729
long bow 24,897

here is the link to the pages if you want to look it over good
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/PDF/pub304_05.pdf