Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 installing serving on crossbow >

installing serving on crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

installing serving on crossbow

Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Spike

Default installing serving on crossbow

My Horton needs new serving on the ends of the string (not sure that is what it is called but on the end of the bow string where it goes around the pulley the servinghas broke) Just wondering if I could use normal crossbow serving or is there a cetain kind that I need? It looks like it is smaller in diamater than the serving at the nock point. Should I just get a new bow string?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: installing serving on crossbow

It's called end serving. (as opposed to center serving, for which thicker, stronger serving is used). End serving has to be of relatively small diameter to fit into the cams and strong. I use Brownell's #1D or Mini serving, as well as BCY's #3D or Two X.
A string can be served several times providing it is done in a timely manner so that the bowstring itself hasn't been damaged.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Spike

The bow string itself does have a nick in it where the end serving broke. I'm guessing a piece of dirt or something got in between the string and the pulley. But it is not a bad cut (maybe one strand ). Do you think the string is ok?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BucknCluck

The bow string itself does have a nick in it where the end serving broke. I'm guessing a piece of dirt or something got in between the string and the pulley. But it is not a bad cut (maybe one strand ). Do you think the string is ok?
IMO if there is any damage to the string it should be replaced. Here is an excellentthreadon how to reserve your string. It was written by a custom string maker:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2005725&mpage=1

Bob
Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed. The price of a string is not worth the aggravation and danger of a broken string and most likely the bow itself. Best get two. One to replace the compromised string and another to change out the string being served.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BucknCluck

My Horton needs new serving on the ends of the string (not sure that is what it is called but on the end of the bow string where it goes around the pulley the servinghas broke) Just wondering if I could use normal crossbow serving or is there a cetain kind that I need? It looks like it is smaller in diamater than the serving at the nock point. Should I just get a new bow string?
Hmmm seems to be a slightly different quote.... The advice you got is excellent. My advice is the same, get a new string. To reserved the ends you'll need to cut the serving material to expose the part of the string that creates the loop and then put it on a jig that tensions the string. Buying a couple of strings is way cheaper than buying or making four post string jig. Now if a string strand is broken(like in a previously quoted post) your safety margin has been made smaller so toss the string either way.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advise. I've been bow hunting for a long time but the crossbow thing is still new to me. I think I will just get a new string and be done with it.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just had my horton limbs,cables and string replaced by horton.

the serving on string is MUCH stronger than the original one that was on the bow and also stronger than the spare string i got with bow.

i think they are using different material on serving now and i would guess on the spare strings too BUT at gun shop, the spare strings had OLD looking serving on them but who knows how long those stringshave been there.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check any string you're about to buy for age. If it isn't relatively new, don't buy it. The reputable mfgrs. learn from products that come in for repair and upgrade their specs as necessary. I also have an aversion to machine made string and make my own now. The last one I purchased (a factory replacement from a large national retailer) broke on the 5th shot. The loose ends of the "endless loop string" wasn't woven, or even tied together, creating what was in effect a broken strand. I now weave the loose ends over the string for a distance of some 3" (after serving the loop) then serve the woven part as part of the end serving.