Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broad Heads

Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broad Heads

I use the Grim Reaper - Razor Tip @ 100gr. Shoots nice and straight every shot. Picked them up a few years ago when visiting my mom and needed some tips while hunting there because like an idiot I left them sitting on the table at home. (4 hours away.)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:49 AM

i use 125gr sonic broadheads. sighted my new scope in on my crossbow 2 nights ago. Once i got the field point hitting the bullseye, i put in a bolt with the sonic on the end and hit exactly like the field point. Moved back to 30 yards and hit exactly straight again. sonics are the real deal when it comes to the right broadhead. 3 blades, and they can take a beating. Everything they say on their website is absolutely true. I love sonics. slick tricks are just as good. i saw someone shoot a barrle with a slick trick from 20 yards. Went through the barrel both sides. and the arrow was barely dull.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM

I've never been barrel hunting.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have never been barrel hunting. Is it hard? What type of camo?
Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 AM

Ok if yall want to joke about it. Shoot a slick trick at a barrel and look at the aftermath, then shoot a mechanical at it. It wont go through the barrel and it will look likea mangled piece of metal when it comes out. SO
Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cbmagnum

Ok if yall want to joke about it. Shoot a slick trick at a barrel and look at the aftermath, then shoot a mechanical at it. It wont go through the barrel and it will look likea mangled piece of metal when it comes out. SO

yeah, but mechanical broadheadsarent designed to go through a steel barrel, or my vehicle, or a concrete wall,they're designed to do as much damage as is possible passing through soft tissue while maintaining a high level of accuracy during flight,and in that regaurdmost do an excellent job

like alot of guys, I dont hold much value with a broadheads ability to withstand being shot through a steel barrel(or any other extremely solid object), it has absolutely no relevance to what it was actuallydesigned for, which is hunting/passing through soft tissue, I could shoot a field point through a steel barrel too and it would probably come out virtually undamaged, that doesnt make it a good broadhead...

neither do Ijudgean arrows ability to hold up to damage in a test like that, like broadheads, its an unfair test that takes the arrow out of the realm of its design,you cantjudge its success/failure based on that...
Old 07-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iam shooting the American Sonic broadhead(100grs)after Wyvern
Crossbow recomended them,have not shot any big game so far
but have got a fox and two coyotes so far and amvery pleased
with their performance.Also their turkey broadhead is awesome!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Moonkryket

I don't care what broadhead I use as long as it's a NAP Spitfire in either 100 or 170 grain all stainless. Been using NAP Spitfires and Scorpions (lots of success with deer kills) with Blazer vanes long enough to know they are not problematic expandable heads. My Desert Stryker will put them virtually in the same hole as a field point at 70 yards.

You cannot go wrong with the Spitfires, I use the 125's and never had any problems, I also use Magnus Snuffers 125's
Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I'm shooting Muzzy 100 grain, 3 blade.

I used to shoot a mechanical. But after losing two deer because the bolt hungin the shoulder,I wanted something with more cut-on-contact and energy on bone. Just in case I goofed again and shoot to far foward.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mcraddock

I'm shooting Muzzy 100 grain, 3 blade.

I used to shoot a mechanical. But after losing two deer because the bolt hungin the shoulder,I wanted something with more cut-on-contact and energy on bone. Just in case I goofed again and shoot to far foward.

you just answered a lot of questions.

if you make bad shot with say SPITFIRE ,its going to be long day.

fix point, i feel will do better job on that boo boo.

if you are like me, only shoot behind shoulder BROADSIDE,spitfire is great point and only what i use.

if only we would all take a broadside shot and let buck walk if not, i would bet we would not hear a story on wounded buck.

Quick Reply: Broad Heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.