Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

parker cyclone

Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Default parker cyclone

I recently bought a cyclone from bass pro. It's for my wife and she loves the style. Itfits her well, and she can shoot very accurate with it. By the third day I started having problems with the dry-fire mechanism. After shooting, it would not re-cock. I brought it in, andBass Proreset it, and even showed me how to reset. On a new bow this shouldn't happen. They decided to give me a new one to try. Again by the 5th shot, it happened again. They are supposed to get with a rep tomorrow to find out what's going on. Is this happening to anyone else. Has to be, it happened to me on two different bows after a few shots.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: parker cyclone

The Cyclone because of the heavy pull and the factory hooks which stink (get an Excalibur rope aid...it works MUCH better) and the length of pull, what you are doing is not cocking it hard enough. You are bringing it back to the point that it releases the fingers that grab the string, but you are not bringing it back far enough to roll them forward, so when you let the string down it latches behind the string. Bass pro at least knew how to reset it, but they dont know what causes it. Get an Excal rope aid, hook it from underneath, and pull back good and firm...you will not have that problem again.

Wyvern
Old 07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bo big thing, happens to bows with anti dry fire device when the bow isn't fully cocked. It is not a defect.The Cyclone is a heavy draw bow (as you likely know by now) it takes considerable effort to fully cock the bow. My Cyclone seems harder to cock than my Vortex. Shes' short-stroking it and the hooks are not grabbing the string. Try this: Shorten the string on the rope cocker so that you need to pull the bowstring up to the second hooke4 to 5". That makes the distance that she pulls the cocker that much shorter. She won't be doing the hardest part of the pull when her elbows are full cocked. Then have her begin to stand erect as she is pulling, while bracing the bow with the knee that is in the stirrup. This way her legs and back supplement the work of her arms. And be sure to pull up and back (toward yourself) to keep the hooks form jumping from the sides of the barrel. Like Wyvern says, The Excalibur string cocker is much better that Parker's.
The Cyclone is a great bow, particularly for the money. It has a couple of quirks, stay with it and you'll be very satisfied. Send me a PM if you want more details of how I coped with mine.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 PM

I actually have been using the excalibur rope since I got the bow. The bow caught the string, and shot fine, it was when I went to recock the dry-fire was already engaged(stuck). That's why I couldn't recock the bow. Trust me, I pulled it back hard. I've been testing it myself, not my wife. We've tried it several ways. If it's that's sensitive it's not worth having.
Update: Talked with Bass Pro and Parker. Bass Pro is recalling all there cyclones that they have in stock. Parker says they must have a bad batch. When I went in today, tryed another one, same problem. It's after the 5th or 6th shot when it starts acting up.They're sending me one within a week. Will let you know how it pans out. I really want it to work, we'll see. Maybe it is the batch. They say it's a weak spring at Parker. The manager at Bass Pro says other Bass Pros are also having same problems. Will keep you updated.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear 'ya Wils. The first time I tried cocking mine the hooks deployed prematurely ---but the bow string had been "up there". Having had the same problem with my Terminator, I knew what to do. Never have had a problem since if I pull it up in a fast contiuous sweep and seat it forcefully.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Man! Too much final post production testing by customersI think. Looks like Parker jumped the gun a little :-(
Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be Moon. But I like working out the bugs. Mine is where I was hoping it would be 355 fps with 425 grn arrows. Accurate and somewhat unique, like the DS, in many ways except price. But sometimes that's what happens with cutting edge gear. Hard to forget the bowl-up and trigger issues with the Strykers.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

I went to Cabelas and shot the cyclone. Shot 15 times no problem. I decided I would wait on Parker to send me my new one, and we would go with that. My wife decided she wanted to try to see if she could find any she could pull back, so a few days later we went back to Cabelas. The archery guy saw me, and the first thing he said was that when I had leftthat day, I hadn't been out the store 5 minutes when it did the same thing to someone else. That did it, we found a new crossbow. Tenpoint Titan, and my wife can pull it back easily. All I can sayto you that have the cyclone,don't just sight it in and put it away. Keep shooting. Like I said it took my first one 50-60 shots before acting up. Hopefully you'll have no problems especially whenhunting season gets here. Thanks for everyone's input.I lovemy Parker compound, but as far as crossbows, they have a ways to go in myexperience.