Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Steel for limbs

Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Spike

Default Steel for limbs

ALL the modern CBs I know have fiberglass or carbon limbs. However, all "serious" machinary relies on STEEL for springs. including "leaf" (flat) springs.

As far as I know, steel is also used where weight matters, like in aviation. So I guess it has better weight to strength ratio.

What is wrong with steel for bows?

(I consider building steel CB, so I need your input before I waste my time and money).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Steel for limbs

It's recovery time is much slower than glass or carbon limbs. Slower recovery, slower arrow speeds. Steel makes a good crossbow prod. They figured that out 650 years ago. Glass and carbon are simply better.

By the way, I built a midieval replica crossbow with a steel prod from http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html It's a good shooter and has been going strong for a couple of years now.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, my Wyvern medieval bow has a steel prod., works well.

I'd more likely bet...steel is much heavier than fiberglass / kevlar, hence more the reason it's not used on modern crossbows. Gotta keep it as light as possible, and still have a good spring.
There is also a corrosion factor. How do you properly protect it for those guys that hunt in the rain, or live in humid areas?
On the other hand, titanium is a good spring, fairly...light (compared to steel)....

By the way...in the areospace industry...steel is used "very little" for a leaf spring design...too heavy. I'm a designer in that industry.

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't want steel limbs on my Xbow. It would sound like a cannon going off. Besides, if a thunderstorm comes up, well, if you get to see the lightning, it missed ya.
BBO
Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

I wouldn't want steel limbs on my Xbow. It would sound like a cannon going off. Besides, if a thunderstorm comes up, well, if you get to see the lightning, it missed ya.
BBO
Hi Buddy! Still a trip, ain't ya? I'm gonna add that "if you see the lightening, it missed ya" to the "SAGE ADVICE" data file I'm trying to keep. Right now, you and Green Pea 'tuck them in for a dirt nap" are tied for 1st place.