Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Wood arrows

Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Wood arrows

I'm coming from a background of years of traditional bowhunting in to crossbows, just having recently purchased a Parker Buck Buster 150, with which I'm impressed. I've made my wood arrows for years, but see very little about using wood arrows posted on crossbow sites. Do any of you use wood? If so, how do you determine the correct spine? Any type of wood to avoid? Feathers or vanes? Which broadhead(s)? I've got lots of wood shafts and would like to use them in this crossbow, but would prefer to find a good source of information before I attempt to do so. Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wood arrows

Coming from a trad background,you know that wood arrows(or any arrow for that matter)has to be spined for the weight of your bow.I'm assuming your Parker has a 150# pull.I don't know of anyone or anyplace that carries wood shafts spined that high
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not use a wood arrow in a xbow.

Xbows have too much power for a wood arrow to handle.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Do a search on Arthur's post, he is our resident expert on hand made mid evil style crossbows. Here is his screen name, if you do a search you should find some info. I do know that most CB arrows have the stiffest spin for arrows. Not sure what his hand made CB's pull at, but pretty sure he has used wood arrows before.

Arthur P

Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Wyvern's Creations Medieval Crossbows also use (I believe Hex Shaft) wood arrows..(or bolts!). His hunting prod is up there poundage wise, but I don't know the actual arrow speed is. I do know since the Hex Shaft arrows are a hand made shaft...they aren't real cheap.

Best thing is to stick with aluminum or carbon fiber.
I think Parker will be happier that you do! Though wood being heavier than alum. or c.f., it shouldn't hurt the bow at all.

Mike
Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 50-55 spine 11/32 shaft for my wood bolts in my medieval bow, but that is moving alot slower than a modern compound. (about 200fps) The bow will be fine since the physical weight if you use a heavy (145gr or heavier) tip will bring the overall weight up enough to be safe in the bow, but you will need some heavy (60-65lb) shafts to make sure they dont bend too much. I am actually going to experiment with wood shafts on an Excal Phoenix just for fun...feathers by the way...vanes would be a sin on wood, but be aware of the shallow groove. The only other thing IMO is the nock...just cutting the shaft flat is probably asking for trouble. I have my own glue on flat nocks that I have made out of titanium just for the bolts I make...
Wyvern