Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excaliber opinions >

Excaliber opinions

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excaliber opinions

Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Default Excaliber opinions

I am buying an Excaliber, for deer hunting. This is not a suggestion, it is what the future holds.
This web site has the best opinions on this subject, hands down.
Here is the criteria, I "may" go to OHIO hunting, which limits the crossbows to 200 lb pull weight. I am leaning toward the 225 though.
I have searched retail outlets and believe that sportsmansguide to be the best prices:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=8&s=261
Thank you for your assistance.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Default RE: Excaliber opinions

If you are wandering the difference between the 225 and the 200 there is one. It will be about an extra 10 yards walk with the 255 CB to find your arrow on a pass through, which they all will do. I have the 200# Vortex and had two pass throughs last fall, my old 150# Horton always had pass throughs. I like to shoot alot during the summer and the 200# works me over with even a rope cocker with alot of shooting, the 225# model gets some complaints from guys that like to shoot alot, works a guys shoulders over real fast!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 PM

You made a great crossbow choice. Everybody here loves Excals. I guess the question I'd ask is have your personally shot one yet to see how the bow feels for you? Also, there was only one bow that offered the scope, quiver and bolts. I beleieve that was a Phoenix. You may get a better deal on a complete package from a specialty shop, plus get a chance to hold the merchandise you plan on spending considerable funds to purchase.

Wyvern is always a good POC for all crossbow questions and purchases. He's incredibly knowledgable and super friendly. Good luck on your hunt .
Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Stephen,

The 200lb Exocet is capable of taking any animal in North America. The Vixen (150lb) has been used to take moose in Canada.

Actually, the cheapest retail outlet I have found is BHSS:

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/crossbows-excalibur-c-40_145.html

But if you get it from Dan Miller, the person who handles all US repairs, the xbow will come setup and sighted in. His prices are very competitiveand heis also and excellent resource for questions (740) 483-2312. Call Dan Miller before you buy, it is worth the time.

Any Excalibur product is an excellent choice and they stand behind their product regardless of where you get it.

Bob
Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for the 200.....I also have the Vortex and Love it....Matter of fact I was just outside doing some 30 yrd shots with her...Excal is great all the way around.......
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for the 200. I got the 200 Vortex..after buying the 225 Equinox. More bow than I could handle. Cocking it was a chore so that I had to limit practice shots to half dozen or so. The 200 gives me complete pass through at 30 yards. Fast accurate and easier on the bowstring. The 10 fps extra speed isn't worth the hassle. I'm getting an honest 320 fps with 41o gr arrows and Flemmish string. More than enough for anything that walks this area, or flies...will be using it for long beards next week end. While you're at it, check out the LumiZone scope, got one on both my bows (the other is a Parker Terminator) it's the cat's meow. Multiple aiming points that can be adjusted for speed of arrow and a lighted reticule on demand. I used to think 'Robin Hoods' were an anomaly...now I don't aim at the same spot twice.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the boys with one exception. If you are a high volume shooter you may want to go to the Phoenix which is a whole lot easier to cock. Otherwise the Vortex for hunting is pretty much perfect. I have a Vixen, Phoenix and Vortex. Even better is the Y25.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done alot of business with these folks,most of thir crossbows include free shipping
http://store.outdoorsexperience.com/excaliburequinox.html
Tell them I sent you
Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stephen1959, the 225 is a beast! heavier & longer plus it likes to eat string servings. It will wear you out cocking it if you do much practice shooting. the 200 Lb and 175 Lb models will do all you ask and much easier on you.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my Vortex thru...bowhunterssuperstore.com.........Ive had very good exp with these folks........

Get my Strings from Boo,aka Dnk,aka Don,akaone of theY25 guys.........

Quick Reply: Excaliber opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.