Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Accuracy problems >

Accuracy problems

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Accuracy problems

Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Accuracy problems

I have been on here a while back for some pointers on accuracy and have took them all but getting a string puller.But anyway,I have a Horton explorer hd 150 and i can not get this thing to group at all.It has the 3 red dot scope on it and it will shoot really good 1 or 2 shots and you will think you have it figured out and then BAM.5 or 6 inches off.I have a very solid rest and am sighting in at 20 yds.I am getting frusturated,because i want to be as accurate as possible,i owe it to the deer i plan to hunt.When using the red dot scope do you have to look though it the same way every time you shoot?Could me manually cocking it be the cause?Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

Default RE: Accuracy problems

Manually cocking the bow CAN cause the string to be uneven. I think AWshucks mentioned before to mark the string with whitteout on each side of the barrel before you cock it. Oncce at full draw check to see that tthe white marks as equal from the claw.

You might have something lose on your scope mount, possibly the base or the scope mounts or rings. Ther are infinite possible things that can be causing it. Did you try shootingone arrows then retrievingit and shootingit again, then the third time to see if each shot hits close to the priorshot>Might be you have a slightly bent arrow. The list can go on and on.

Put a regular crosshair rifle scope on it and try shooting, maybe you have a bad red dot. Could be you have a limb problem or cables or wheels.

You willl have to eliminate all the varibles to get to the root cause.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Like DaGriz said, Number you arrows and see if the one that is the flyer is the same one.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Manually cocking can definately cause the string to be uneven and will cause the bow to shoot right or left. If it is 5-6 inches off left or right that is the most likely cause. A cocking rope is a really a must not only will it ensure that the bow is cocked evenly it will also cut the pull when cocking by 50% making your trips to the range more enjoyable.

I always number my arrows with a permanent marker on the fletching to see if there are any "fliers" that do not want to group with the rest.

Bob

Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys!!Im gonna order me a rope cocker from bass pro and number my arrows.I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the things I have run into is bad red dot scopes. If you lock your thumb nails into the severing with the string at rest putting them right against the stock so the sring can not move side ways at all as you pull it back[not as good as a cocker] you should be able to get reasonable accuracy. Put the original Iron sights back on and give it a try with out that red dot to see if you can identify the problem. Lee
Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a new red dot that shot to a different point of aim EVERY time I shot. Needless to say it went back.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Brushbustin, tighten all screws sometimes they will work loose and cause the bow to lose accuracy, if you are off to the left and right but right on the height it might be the way you are cocking, if you are off up and down it might be your dial a range, if its everywhere it might be your red dot.
Hope this helps Martin
Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try a cocking device I think the manual cocking is your problem
be sure to mark your string on each side to see if you are cocking it
straight each time!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

martin... makes a good point. Tighten the screws and use BLUE LocTite while you're at it. One of my bows exhibited the same problems when screeews loosened.

Quick Reply: Accuracy problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.