Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Accuracy problems >

Accuracy problems

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Accuracy problems

Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy problems

To use a rope cocker on a Horton, or should say most Hortons I'm familiar w/ be sure to put the hooks on upside down or they will put the safety on prematurely and not let bow cock on occasion. If you have alum arrows, check to see if any are bent, even a little will drive you nuts. An easy cheap arrow spinner can be made by using epoxy to put two marbles togethewr at each end of a board about 14" long.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Your problem could also be the nocks you are using. If you are using flat nocks you should switch to moon nocks Most New Horton will not do well with the flat nocks . The way the string/interact can cause the string to not center on the flat nock when it fires!! Horton recommends that you use moon nocks with their newer crossbows!

BUT.... it depends on the trigger you have!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DaGriz

Your probelm couold also be the nocks you are using. If you are usinf flat nocks you should switch to moon nocks Most Horton will not do well with the flat nocks . The way the string/iinteract can cause the string to not center on the flat nock when it fires!!

does using flat nocks with a horton really have anydrastic effects on accuracy?

I ask because my brother has a summit and I put together a couple of test arrows for him but I didnt have any half moon nocks so I just used flat ones thinking that it wouldnt make that much of a difference, they havent been tested yet but if its going to NEED moon nocks to work well I'll just get someand swap they out before we putthetime into testing them
Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned

[align=left]Found this info on Horton when searching the internet![/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]"Many model Horton Crossbows will not shoot moon nock arrows consistantly. These models include: Super Mag, Stag, Hunter Supreme, Hunter SL, Dakota, and other bracketed models with out split limbs. The problem is in the older style trigger mechanisim. The tip of the moon nock actually hits the string retainer as the arrow is leaving the gate. If you are shooting moon nocks in an olderHorton, and the arrows are shooting inconsistantly, check the tip of the nock. Look for a nick on the tip of the nock. Sometimes the tip of the nock is actually broken off. This indicates that you have an older style trigger mechanisism and need to shoot flat nock arrows. "[/align]
Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Brushbustin most of the members on here have given you good advice. One thing I would like to add isfrom what you said.
it will shoot really good 1 or 2 shots and you will think you have it figured out and then BAM.5 or 6 inches off.I have a very solid rest and am sighting in at 20 yds
Now if your arrows are groupping well at the next spot (5 - 6 inches off) then I would bet it is probually loose screws. Make sure your scope is mounted properly and screws tightened securly (not over tight to deform the scope barrel, I have seen this). If you find that everything has stayed tight, thenI would lean to a defective scope.

But starting at the basics, shooting only manufacture recomended equipment (proper arrows ect.) would be a good start to rule out your add on stuff. Try your peep site as was recomended

Good luck
Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again guys for all the good info and trying to help me figure this thing out.I have tightened all the screws and none were loose,The crossbow didn't come with any peep sights,came with the red dot scope on it.I have done everything that has been mentioned here except get a rope cocker and i have to wait till next Friday when i get my paycheck.If that doesn't help im thinking i am going to try a different scope.I have already got the scope mount and rings.Wal-mart had them on clerance for $19 for the rings and mounts.I am shooting the half moon nocks.Thanks again guys.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check the string as well. I had the same problem this past fall and was gettin frustrated too. Took it to the shop and I needed a new string, I was embarrassed. [&o]. But I learn from my mistakes. Check your string though.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

You might want to check the string as well. I had the same problem this past fall and was gettin frustrated too. Took it to the shop and I needed a new string, I was embarrassed. [&o]. But I learn from my mistakes. Check your string though.
What should i look for when checking the string?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look to see if its worn down against the rail basically. In my case the string was almost completely flat. If there is no distinct difference then you should be okay. Just make sure to lube your string and rail properly.