HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbow shooting questions
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 04:01 PM
nksmfamjp
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow shooting questions

Yea, it could be all kinds of things. . .

First, I would look at myself. A crossbow is much harder to shoot due to the trigger pull. A decent rifle trigger can be shot well at 30 yards by beginner and expert alike, but with a crossbow, I really felt like I had to "learn" the release point of the trigger mechanism so the crosshair is on target when it releases. This is twice as hard because: 1) a crossbow has no dry fire capability, 2) generally, I can only shoot 3 - 6 arrows, before I have to pull from the target!

Second, I would look at the sight and sight base. Are these tight enough to not have excessive slop side to side. Does the aiming point dial consistantly? Try this with the bow in a rest and dialing the sight.

Third, a rest might be a good investment. Even if the rest isn't the solution, it will help you isolate yourself from the equation.

Forth, arrow setup. While most store bought arrows are similar weight and setup, you might try a couple. You might also buy a few weights of target points.Field points are cheap and change the FOC. This combination of heavier and more FOC can help you dial in quicker. Also, don't try broadheads until the field points are flying right.