Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 NEW TO CROSS BOW HUNTING >

NEW TO CROSS BOW HUNTING

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

NEW TO CROSS BOW HUNTING

Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Default NEW TO CROSS BOW HUNTING

Hello,I am going to purchase a CB and found 2 that i like from cabellas.barnett revolution AVI and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on this brand.Want to use for deer hunting.Thank you
Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Default RE: NEW TO CROSS BOW HUNTING

I don't know about the barnett. I bought an excalibur vixen last year. It is my first bow of any description and it is very accurate. I liked that it was a recurve, since being new to archery I want to keep it simple. Now that I have it, I don't think I'll ever buy anything different.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Spike

Give some strong consideration to an Excalibur crossbow. I shoot the newer Vortex - a 200# recurve crossbow. It is a pleasure to shoot in practice or hunting situations. No matter what crossbow you are considering, make the effort to shoot them before you buy.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased 2 bows after extensive research and shooting several brands. I considered price, customer support, waranty, how it fit me, accuracy, ease of maintenance and trigger pull among other factors. I first bought the Parker Terminator when it first came out. It's was all I had hoped for in a bow. But when the Excalibur Vortex came along I bought it too. They are different as night and day but good bows in their own ways. I tried Barnett products but simply was not impressed with the quality of their product, their reputation for support or their triggers. If I rated roughly comperably priced bows, that I can afford, from botton to top it would likely go: Barnett, Horton, Parker, Exalibur, Ten Point is close to the top but a bit pricy for me. I'm hearing good things about the new Parker Cyclone for this year. It may just follow me home when I find it. That's my story....and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rate them a little differently based on accuracy, reliability, customer service (warranty repairs), and aftermarket expenses (self-service friendly).
#1 - Excalibur
#2 - TenPoint
#3 - Horton
I don't know much about Parker but from what I've heard they are a good brand. Barnett has always been near the bottom of choices for me. I've owned one in the distant past, and was not impressed with it.
I had really given up on a crossbow as being a good (as in accurate andreliable) choice for serious hunting until I shot an Excalibur. That was several years ago and I took that one home with me! I have never owned any other brand since and never regretted my choice. To be fair, TenPoint (never owned one, but I have shot them) would be an easy second choice. Horton would be a distant third choice, and all the rest would probably be better than nothing, but I wouldn't even consider tham as long as Excalibur, TenPoint, and Horton are in business.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think you hit it on the head wabi,will let you know how my new Ten Point
does when I get her!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: coyote170

Think you hit it on the head wabi,will let you know how my new Ten Point
does when I get her!
Congrats on your soon to be purchase Marty! I am happy to see us diversify!

To answer the questions, wabi mentioned the top three IMO. But please shoot as much as you can before you buy. I have always liked Horton products, but I love my Excal!