Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cross Bow

Old 03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cross Bow

Hey all I was wondering about cross bow's, I just recieved my pernit due to medical issues and I was wondering if anyone uses the Ten Point cross Bow, I was talking to a vendor at the HUnting and fishing expo and he was tryna say that that particular Brand has the least amount of problems than any other cross bow on the market!! is that just a more exspensive product verses the other brands? also he was tryna tell me they are the most accurate brand and there top model can shoot upto 100 yards. sounds a bit nutty to me just wondering if anyone here works in or owns a bow shop that can give me some info on this or anyone who has used mulitiple brands of cross bows Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2007, 04:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cross Bow

Ten Point does indeed make a very fine product, though I would find it difficult to imagine a better and more trouble free xbow than the Excalibur line. Any recurve is simpler and less prone to problems than any compound.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My father-in-law is also looking at the 10Point line of crossbows. He looked at the Slider model and loved it. It comes equiped with a red dot and acu-draw and is only $600.00, hes 65 this year making it legal for him to hunt with a crossbow in Wi. Hes really anxious to get one as soon as he can.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being as I worked in a store for three years and sold a few crossbows I had to learn about them. IMO the only brands I would own would be Ten Point or Excaliber. They are the two made with quality in mind.

I haven't dealt with Excaliber, but have with Ten Point. With the few problems we dealt with their customer service was A-one. Companies don't just give away lifetime warranties for nothing. Usually they put together a good product and don't expect many problems.

Most of the ones I saw having the most problems such as severe string creep, broken limbs and such were Horton and Barnett. These cost less to begin with, but...........

NOW, that being said, anybody who tells you that corssbows are good for shooting anywhere near a hundred yards just don't know anything about them. They are still a short range weapon, meaning about the same as a regular hand held bow. Yeh, yardages can be stretched farther, but the accuracy of the shooter is paramount. When ytou start stretching things out to 50 yards and beyond you need to question your ethics.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher
NOW, that being said, anybody who tells you that corssbows are good for shooting anywhere near a hundred yards just don't know anything about them. They are still a short range weapon, meaning about the same as a regular hand held bow.
Maybe you should call Bowtech . The Rep there told my son that they have guys that work there and shoot softball size groups at 100 yards . The bows are rated at 405 fps . I'm only 65 and pull a 70# compound but by the time I get old , maybe NY will open up to the Crossbow and i'll buy one of those Bowtech Strykers ! Maybe the $1600 price will be down by then and I can use part of one of my Social security Checks to buy one !
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Why don't you call bowtech and ask them if they suggest you hunt deer with a crossbow at 100 yards. I am almost for sure I know what the answer will be. And if it isn't a resounding no the the bowtech I own may be the last one I own.

I can shoot 5 or six inch groups at 70 meters with my bow and it only shoots around 200 fps. That doesn't mean I am going to go out and shoot at live game at that distance, that is just ignorant and unethical in my opinion.

Cross bows are still short range weapons and you need to practice with them to be proficient and know where they will shoot at what distances. 400 fps is not going to give you a flat trajectory out to 100 yards. There will be some serious hold over at that distance and you better know exactly how much and exactly how far your target is, down to the yard at that distance. Not to mention wind drift and time the arrow is in the air. It had better be VERY relaxed game at that distance, especially considering how loud most X bows are.

Oh, and we actually have a cross bow forum if you want to check it out.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have experiance with Ten Point, but I do with the Excaliburs, I don't doubt their claim of being the most accurate and reliable of all the hunting x-bows.
I have seen a compound x-bow explode on a dry-fire, not pretty. I can change the string on my Excalibur Exocet in my tree stand with no tools, and it has been dry-fired (160lb bow) with no problems. X-bows made for hunters, by hunters. Simple design that works well.

That being said, visit the crossbow forum here, there are some very knowledgeable people there, most are die-hard Excal or 10pt, lots of guys own other brands, but they can't really argue effectively against the 10pt or Excal guys.

Ten Point = top quality expensive compound
Excal = top quality affordable recurve
Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Paul - I can quote you an article with an interview with a Horton Rep that said Crossbows are great for executives that don't have time to practice . He further stated that a person could become proficient with a crossbow in about 30 minutes and it wouldn't be necessary to spend long hours like compoud & Stick Bow shooters . The ideal alternative for folks that don't have time to practice . With Horton's advice , I can buy a crossbow (when they become legal in NY) and quit practicing my shooting . Then with the info fromanother Crossbow Manufacturer, I can slap those bolts out to 100 yards rather than lure the deer in to 30 yards or less . Remember , like everyone says , us hunter's have to stick together !
Old 03-12-2007, 08:31 PM

i jus gotta give my .02 cents.......well first of all,ishoot a barnett and i love it.and i'd buy another 1 without hesitation, i know of 2 stryker bows that have crap'd out on another forum, wow who woulda thought that a 1,600 dollar xbow , would"blow up"........hmmmmmm, not to mention thiers a few guys on this forum who have had thier excal's break down too.....hmmmmmmmm, also u guys talk about being consistant with ur accuracey, well guys i hate to say it, but im a pretty hardcore shooter and i quarntee i can take a non name brand bow of ebay, and shoot just as consistant as you can with ur high dollar bows.....so if u ask me, buy what u can afford, and have a dayum good time learning how to SHOT PROPER...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Come on guys. This thread is starting to sound like an anti-crossbow thrashing.

Here are a few thoughts from someone with over 25 years with a crossbow.

1- Yes some of todays crossbows are accurate out well past 100 yards. Heck in Europe, they have shoots that incorporate targets from 100 - 150 yards. If my memory is correct, one shooter would get 3-7 inch groups in the 125 yard distance. But these are arrows shot at a stationary target. Deer or animals can move after you pull the trigger and before the arrow gets there. That is why crossbows are still the short range weapon as their vertical compound cousins.

2- Simplicity is to me the most important. With a bow with wheels, you are Dependant on a proshop for repairs or adjustments, even in the simple task of changing a string. Everyone realizes that when hunting you might need to change a string, the recurve is simple to do.

3- As for the
also he was tryna tell me they are the most accurate brand
just check out what crossbow has won the most national championships, I think you were receiving the normal sales pitch with them trying to make the sale. BTW, Excalibur has won more crossbow championships then the other brands.

No matter if you choose the compound or recurve style, they will both have their pros & cons, you will just have to deciede which bests suits what you want.

Good luck.

(forgot to include)
4- You still need to practice with a crossbow. Anyone telling people that there is not a need to practice is just being irrisposible and only trying to make a sale. You need to learn the flight of the arrow, so you can judge a shooting window which your arrow will travel through. You still need to practice to become efficent enough for hunting. Yes, you do not need to practice as much as you would with the vertical bows, but you still need tto practice.

Quick Reply: Cross Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.