Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What to do to improve precision with crossbow? >

What to do to improve precision with crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What to do to improve precision with crossbow?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 AM

Default What to do to improve precision with crossbow?

Hello to everybody,

i'm a new crossbower.I started to use crossbow from 1 month.

How many time need to group in good manner at 30 Yards for istance?

How was your grouping when you begin with crossbow?

Could give me some advices to impriove my grouping?

I hope to receive from you and sorry if my English isn't perfect

Bye

Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to do to improve precision with crossbow?

Welcome to the forum! Those are some fairly general questions, not sure what you are looking for. #1 would be centering the string every shot. You can mark the string at rail on each side w/ white-out and then check to see if those marks are even after you cock the bow. A rope cocker kind of does this automatically and cuts effort in half. #2 would be make sure the bow and sights are alingned by using a rest to check. #3 would be practice alot. Do you know about the Italian xbow site? Lots of good info there at:
http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum! What country are you in? What kind of shooting experience do you have?
My best advice for you is to practice as much as you can. Practice shooting off-hand as much as possible. Pretend that every shot you take is the only shot you take. When you are shooting remember trigger control, sight picture, breathing and follow through. Limit the number of shots you take so that every shot is taken carefully, if you tell yourself that you will only shoot ten shots then you will be more careful.
I've been shooting too long to tell you what my groups were when I started. What you should expect is different from from what I expected because our experience is different.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Starting out groups really depend on your previous experience. If you shoot a rifle, you will get very good 20 - 30 yard groups. At 20 yards, I can hit previous arrows almost every time. Ouch!

That is why I tend to shoot one arrow per bullseye.

After you get to where you feel like your groups are the best they can be. . .they stop improving. Then you should start to look at tuning your arrows to improve more from there.

Try shooting from a rest to see the best your crossbow can shoot. It is a way of reducing the shooters negative effects on accuracy.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Welcome to the forum! What country are you in? What kind of shooting experience do you have?
My best advice for you is to practice as much as you can. Practice shooting off-hand as much as possible. Pretend that every shot you take is the only shot you take. When you are shooting remember trigger control, sight picture, breathing and follow through. Limit the number of shots you take so that every shot is taken carefully, if you tell yourself that you will only shoot ten shots then you will be more careful.
I've been shooting too long to tell you what my groups were when I started. What you should expect is different from from what I expected because our experience is different.
Thank you to everybody for answer.รน
Excuse me Dnk, could you explain me what do you mean for trigger control, breathing and follow trough?

Thank you in advance i'm an absolute beginner.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Watch this about crossbows first then do a google seach on shooting basics and do some reading. Then get a shooting coach. I used to be a club level hand gun instructor and I cannot begin to imagine how to teach you how to shoot properly.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listings.php?category_id=47
Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 AM

Ok DNk, thank you very much for your advices!