Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Last or First??? >

Last or First???

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Last or First???

Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Last or First???

With 2 days left in VA's late season I decided to take outmy oldExcal Exocet for one more hunt, I've had her 9 years, and I bought her used, but she still thumps'em.
At last shooting light 2 does came in and one presented a shot at about 25 yards. After releasing the bolt I hear that familiar"THUMP" that tells you it's a good hit. I aslo use tracer nocks and I watched thelighted nock disappear then reappearas it passed thru the deer. When it reappeared it looked as though it was falling to the ground as if it had just barelymade it all the way thru the deer. I was very wrong.
Long story short, my brother processes 200-300 deer each season and we compost the remains. The following fall we spread the compost on our food plots for fertilizer. Well some of the bones don't breakdown.
My bolt did not just fall out of the opposite side of the deer as it had appeared. The MUZZY tipped Goldtip shaft zipped thru the deer and 20 yards later buried itself into a still very hard vertebrae from one of last years processed deer.What I saw in the low light was my bolt hitting the bone and tipping up before itcame to rest. It passed thru the facing shoulder and out the ribcage on the other side. The doe went all of 50 yards. Shewas the36th deer killedwith that bow overa 9 year span.
Back to my question - Last or First???
Is she my last bowkill of the season or the first kill of the new year? Either way, Thanks for letting me share this hunt with you.

xbowbarry
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: Last or First???

ORIGINAL: xbowbarry

Is she my last bowkill of the season or the first kill of the new year?

I'd say both...

congrats on the deer, I didnt get a chance to get out the last few days, I've been laid up, yet again, withanother sinus infection...

its been a hell of a yeararound herewith everyone being sick constantly...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks!! Awesome, ain't they?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A though to ponder,Hmmmmmmmmm.....If your season ends at the begining of the year,I would say last....

But Congrats on the deer....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!
I'd call it the last of the season so I could start fresh in the fall.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Call it what you want, but I would call it a good time!! Do them tracers seem to hold up good or do youonly use them for the hunt?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Do them tracers seem to hold up good or do youonly use them for the hunt?
I'm in a wheelchair so I don't get to shoot as often as I would like. BUT the newTracer Nock stays lit for 10 seconds after the shot then it starts blinking. Manufacturer says this improve battery life up to ten times more than original.
I would'nt hunt without them, they're GREAT!!!

xbowbarry
Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Since the VA. regulation book has on the cover July 2007 - June 2008 and the season starts in 07 and ends in 08I would call it the last deer of the 07 - 08 season, next season will be the 08 -09 season.

Martin