Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow Accuracy >

Crossbow Accuracy

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Accuracy

Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Crossbow Accuracy

Ok.. Ive never shot a crossbow. I did surf around on the internet and found a guy who claaims [and he claims hes no expert] that in variable winds he hit a 5" group at 100 yards. Then, a week or two later in better wind he hit a 4" group at 100 yards.

The question of hunting here is totally out of the question. My REAL question here is - is this nonsense, or can a careful shooter with a mid priced crossbow and scope really hit a 5 or better yet 4inch group at 100 yards.

Again this is not a hunting question - at all.

Pete
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Default RE: Croosbow Accuracy

There are some guys that like to screw around and shoot real far, and all that I have seen do it, (only on the web)say it is just for fun and always assert you could not do it on a deer. Now some Vertical legends have taken shots like that and all think they are the best thing since the bread slicer, but a CB makes way to much noise to do anything past 35 yards IMO. There is a Italian site at the top under CB resources thread and a guy in there does it. But a CB runs out of gas real fast and the hold over to do it is like four or five feet if I remember what one member said about it. So if you set up a scope to do it you would not be able to use it less then fifty yards cause it would be set up for such a massive amount of hold over. CB's do not shoot near as flat as a vertical bow so it is never set up on a hunting rig and just done for fun when it is.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

How about 1.5" at 100 meters with the right shooter and equipment?

Scroll down to the bottom of this page. The author is very credible.
http://venatores.mastertopforum.net/...3&start=15
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

There are some guys that like to screw around and shoot real far, and all that I have seen do it, (only on the web)say it is just for fun and always assert you could not do it on a deer. Now some Vertical legends have taken shots like that and all think they are the best thing since the bread slicer, but a CB makes way to much noise to do anything past 35 yards IMO.
Well, yeah but, the targets I have cant hear. I also dont consider it "screwing around".

Pete
Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

How about 1.5" at 100 meters with the right shooter and equipment?

Scroll down to the bottom of this page. The author is very credible.
http://venatores.mastertopforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=53&start=15
Wow - trying to sign on to be a member on that sight. No matter what I couldnt get in no matter how manytimes I did that thing where I type in the letters and numbers in the box. Said i was wrong, then locked me out and told me to come back later. Everythings so ditorted I cant tell a zero from an "O".

Ill try again later though - and thank you.

Pete
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

yeah It is definately possible. but as was already said, not on anything alive.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Petewp

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

There are some guys that like to screw around and shoot real far, and all that I have seen do it, (only on the web)say it is just for fun and always assert you could not do it on a deer. Now some Vertical legends have taken shots like that and all think they are the best thing since the bread slicer, but a CB makes way to much noise to do anything past 35 yards IMO.
Well, yeah but, the targets I have cant hear. I also dont consider it "screwing around".

A lot of us here like to "screw around", lol. One mans trash is anothers treasure.And, fwiw: An Excal Exomax 225 lb pull has about 22' of mid range trajectory when sighted in at 100 yds. I say about because I don't know the weight of the arrow or some other variables that was printed on this subject in a past issue of HBM. I like screwing around alot better than screwing up, lol Have fun!

Pete
edited to add: Pete didn't write this, I did, lol
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bear in mind that Matthias is an Iti and a very accomplished shooter but his English isa not soa gooda! LOL! He's a good man!

matthias72

VENATORES MEMBER

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 am Post subject: [hr] Yesterday I done a shooting session with Exomax, 2219 21% FOC arrows and 36 threads Boo string, with my dyneema serving. The wheater conditions were perfect, absolutly no wind. I was shocked! I done many 4 arrows group of 1.5", with a constancy impressive! The string, perfectly in axis with the center arrow nock, allows to minimize every difference between arrows. And also the serving wear is very good. On my opinion this is the best string I ever used.

regards

Matthias
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78 620grs 21% FOC
x7 eclipse 620grs 28% FOC
Nap Nitron
Old 01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hit the target at 20-30-40-50yrds every time,havnt missed yet.How about that for Accuracy.....

Dont mind me I quit smokeing yesterday,I might be alittle P I S S Y the nxt few days.......If I can make it 5 months this time I think I have it made.....................maybe.....

The guys across the big water sure do some awsome shooting with CB'S......
Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Petewp

Pete
Easy there hot stuff! No pun intended by my post, screwing around is another term for having fun in my neck of the woods. I always hesitate answering questions like that since most will think we want to try and do it with deer, so that is why I put it in my post as a form of verbal insurance. So I consider it screwing around and having fun. The Italian site shows it can be done, but that guy has done alot of homework and knows his CB's better then anything.

Quick Reply: Crossbow Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.