Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Lumi Zone fogging >

Lumi Zone fogging

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Lumi Zone fogging

Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lumi Zone fogging

I'm done hunting but would like to get back to shooting for fun. Problem is both my bows are decked out with Lumi Zone scope. Have read elsewhere about them fogging up from significant changes in temp. I keep my bow indoors but would be shooting in temps that are at least 50 degrees colder. Anyone with experience around same situations?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lumi Zone fogging

I had two Horton 4x multiplex's fog up due to just humidity while parked next to a couple of V-zones that didn't. I seldom get the 50 degree change in temp you are looking for, but Danny Miller will swap out problem [excal]scopes in a heart beat.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

No prob here.....with any of my scopes......
Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm talkin' specifically about going from 70 degrees to say 20 or 10 degrees within minutes. Like from house to back yard range. Any experience doing that?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

what kind of fogging are we talking about?

external fogging on the lens is common and other than being annoying until the temp change stabilizes and the condensation evaporates, it doesnt hurt anything and happens to any smooth surface that goes through a rapid, drastic temp/humidity change(as anyone who wears glasses knows), if thats all it is I wouldnt worry a bit about taking it outside

internal fogging is different... to my knowledge most optics worth their weight now days are pressurized internally with some kind of an inert gas(usually nitrogen) which doesnt allow condensation to form inside the tube even during drastic temp changes
most also have some form of coating on the lenes to help avoid fogging too

I have no idea how the lumi-zone scopes are built, but I'd bet they're sealed(or are supposed to be anyway), if your getting internal fogging the seals been broken somehow, the inert gas has escaped and the tube has de-pressurized which will let in moisture and with it condensation/fogging inside the tube,making it pretty much junk...

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM

I have not done as drastic as you say, but this fall I had no problems with mine, If its cold out give it a try and let us know, but be cautious of the different types that KLS mentioned and not confuse them.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am talking about internal fogging. External is only an inconvenience. Sending it away for repairs a bigger inconvenience. Which is why I'm looking for feedback from those who have used their scopes under conditions where the temp changed by at least 50 degrees in a relatively short time, like going from my house to the back yard range at 20 or 10 F.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the windchill is -34 and the temp is -4 so I will grab my Vortex and set it out side(l-zone)and see what happens,its 70deg in my house.I have gone from house to 9deg without any problems.....Here I go..........
Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its in the driveway will check it out in a bit......Man its cold out in your bear feet......
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

well, like I said, I've never used a lumi zone or know exactly how they're put together but I'veseen enough pictures of them to form a decent opinion on how they're built and they appear to bebuilt somewhat well and for $150 youd think it would be a fairly decent scope

scopes only fog after bring them into warmer, morehumid air, taking them outside doesnt cause fogging(or any other problems for that matter), any sealed scope worth owning is more than capable of going through, and well below, the temp range your worried about, in fact thats exactly why they're built the way they are... to withstand extreme temperatures and changes in temerature from one extreme to the other, any decent low-end sealed scope should be able to withstand temeratures well below what you yourself is willing to be out in and then just as easily be able to handle being brought backinside without any trouble at all

alot of scopes that are battery powered will probably have a different operating temperature range than one that isntbut mainly thats only because of the battery, not the actualsealed tube of the scope

but then again I've had cheap reddot scopesout in well below0deg temps and never once had a problem with internal fogging on any of them after bring them in the house, the batteries get sluggish and the dot can get weak, but I've never had one fog...

like I said, if its sealed(and I'm sure it is) I wouldnt be worried a bit about takingthat lumi zoneout in 10deg weather and then bringing it back into the house, if that scope cant handle that mild of a swing in temperature range then my opinion of its qualityjust went to absolutely nothing and its a piece of junk youd never seeon anything that I own, andin thatcase youd be far better off getting rid of it and getting somethingelse...

in my opinion anyway...

Quick Reply: Lumi Zone fogging

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.