Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Deer hanging temp question?? >

Deer hanging temp question??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Deer hanging temp question??

Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer hanging temp question??

Fifty is perfect for bacteria. It should hover just above freezing. A few butchers have told me that there is no real reason to hang wild game for anytime unlike domestic meats.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Fifty is perfect for bacteria. It should hover just above freezing. A few butchers have told me that there is no real reason to hang wild game for anytime unlike domestic meats.
Sorry but I totally disagree with that statement, the no reason to hang part. In a perfect work, I would hang all my wild meat (deer, moose ect) for 2 weeks, but I do not have a proper cooler to do that. When my meat has not hung for very long, I can really taste the difference in the meat. It will not nearly be as tender and it will have a major strong taste to it (the shorter the hang time, the stronger it will be).

The moose camp my family joined a few years ago, used to have the moose butchered within the week (if shot on Thursday, meat would be butchered and dispersed to everyone by Saturday before people left camp), but not now and they now rave about how much better the meat is. There is almost ZERO fat compared to farm fed beef, so you must take care of your preperations better.

But like I have said before, it is mostly personal preference. I want a tender meat without that strong "wild" taste.

I do agree that 50 is too high to hang for extended time. A doy or two at the biginning should not hurt too much (just shorten total time for hanging), but if it has already been hanging for some time, I would butcher it right away.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

deer does not age like beef. there will be no taste differents.moose may be different.

the reason i eat deer is i like the 'wild taste'.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

As a former processor I will say that deer and elkmeat is definitely BETTER when aged. It need not age as long as beef, 10-14 days is best where a beef needs at least 3 weeks and 5 weeks is preferred.
Aging simply makes meat more tender, any "wild" or "gamey" tasteprobably comes from notbeing correctly field dressed and cleaned out.
We once had a deer left in our cooler for 5 weeks, the owner never came to get it and somehow it wasoverlooked, fairly easy to do with 300 deer hanging at once. Anyway, not wanting to waste the meat I proceesed it for myself and that was the best venison I have ever eaten. Remember our cooler stays just above freezing and I inspected the meat carefully when processing so I knew the meat was okay.

xbowbarry
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM

i didn't notice anyone touching on the subject of leaving the hide on while it was hanging. last year i hung mine for 2 days with the hide in a barn. (it was plenty cold)
anyway a friend of mine had me help him with 3 does he had shot this season.they hung for 4-5 days without the hide. when we pulled them out to begin butcherering i noticed a thin layer of crunchy tough membrane? we spent a whole lot of time filleting that stuff off. for me i believe i will always leave the hide on.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM

I am not a steak Man since the wife does not eat steak and it is hard to cook to different meals at the same time. So I grind all my deer into burger. You can feed burger to most anyone and they will never know. The BB I shot this year was in freezer in about sixteen hours after shot, good eats there! I do not think deer in general are though like beef and the hang thing is not needed IMO. So far a button buck and a 2 1/2 year old buck do not need aged to me, both tender compared to a cow. Will need to try this on a old doe next, but so far I am not into the aging thing.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

What was explained to me was that aging has to do with enzimes breaking down the muscle tissue but it also has to do with fat that is located between the muscle fibers. This fat on wild game is located on the outside of the muscle groups. So I assume that aging helps a bit but not enough to make an appreciable difference. This is what game processors and or butchers have told me. I am just parroting information guys.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

The toughnessof meat is less noticeable in ground meat, I could grind a 20 year oldbull elkand it would be edible BUT age it properly and youWILL taste the difference.
Venison of any kind is best aged with the hide on, this keeps the meat from drying out.

xbowbarry
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: navaman

i didn't notice anyone touching on the subject of leaving the hide on while it was hanging. last year i hung mine for 2 days with the hide in a barn. (it was plenty cold)
anyway a friend of mine had me help him with 3 does he had shot this season.they hung for 4-5 days without the hide. when we pulled them out to begin butcherering i noticed a thin layer of crunchy tough membrane? we spent a whole lot of time filleting that stuff off. for me i believe i will always leave the hide on.
[/quote

navaman I agree with you on leaving the skin on. I do not like skinning a deer, let alone having to skin it twice ...... also skinning that tough dried out outter meat section (if you removed the skin) is a lot tougher to do.

xbowberry the STRONG GAMEY FLAVOR, I find is not so much as to how it was "notbeing correctly field dressed and cleaned out" but more to how the deer was acting before it was shot. A deer in the rut, running or being all worked up will have a strong gamey taste to it. But you are correct is that the end product of meat all depends on how you process the animal and that is right from the point of killing it to the dinner plate. The better you look after the meat right from the biginning to the end, the better you will enjoy it.

srwshooter I love my wild meat (deer, moose, turkey, grouse ect) and the difference in it's taste, but that stronger wild taste I can go without.

DNK, yes there are many different ways to process wild game. Almost as many opinions on that topic as there is on what is the best hunting head to use . But even your US State web sites that have sections on butchering will say to hang animals 2.5 years or older to help tenderize the meat. Fawns or yearling's usually it is not required to hang them for very long. Hotburn, you grind your deer all into hamburg .......... OUCH ........ that is a waste. I like my berger, but I want my roasts for the BBQ more then berger.

For anyone that has a good setup and is able to hang deer or any wild meat, they should try to hang it for an extended period. I honestly believe that you will become surprised at the results. I learned the hard way over the years and now will hang it as long as I can.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang it, Dang it!! lol. I've been know to start the grill right after cutting the back staps out, lol. the Chinese hang pheasants by the neck til the body falls off! They eat 1000 yr old eggs too, lol.

Quick Reply: Deer hanging temp question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.