Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Fogging scope

Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fogging scope

LOL I guess that just means that I have been around tooooooo ling LOL

Actually the first scope that they put on their crossbows was a normal rifle tasco. Then they used what was called the DROPZONE, for bows shooting below 300 fps. Then, after a while, when it was needed, the maxzone, for bows shooting over 300 feet per second.All of these scopes were fixed and could not be adjusted like the varizone for different speeds. Then by public demand, they came out with the Lumizone with the lighted reticals, but otherwise the same as the varizone.

I can understand why they do not put out a very high quality scope, it is demand. I do not think that many would put forth alot of money for one when it is not really needed since your shots are only at close range. If they did, they would have to put out all that money, carry stock and all that stuff. Excalibur wants to keep the costs down while still giving quality products that us hunters want.

Sorry to go on and sorta highjack this thread.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom

kvjohndeere yes you can go and put forth a better quality scope on your bow, like most do on their rifles, Like you say, you pay good money for for your bow, why put a lesser scope on the bow. Well I am of the other mindset, why would you pay huge money for a scope where the most benifit you would receive from it can not be used with the crossbow.

What I mean is this. The higher end scopes are great for longer distances. You really only get to use the advantages out over 100 yards, that is just too far for crossbows. Yes they can be clearer and gather more light, but when I can't see though my scope any more, it is already too late to shoot legally. I have target shoot my bow after dusk (too late for hunting) just for practice in tough conditions and I got 10 ring results so the scope is clear enough for me.

I am not saying that you should not put the higher end scopes on your bow, if that is what you want, go for it, but you do not need it. Remember, crossbows range are usually only out to 50 yards, and shorter on deer.
The one Reason I got This Scope my manufacturer recommended it Plus it is A Actually A shotgun Scope For close range Plus My Parker is a 340 FPS at 150lb pull On crossbows There is alot of kinetic energy most people dont Realize ! Quote not like A Gun But when you squeeze that trigger your letting that string Go ! that was holding 150 pounds of pressure ! I talked To Parker XBOw Tech Support That Tests These Xbows & see said when shooting The XBOW The cross hairs in The Truglo Scpoe Actually came apart ! At least With Elite scope Im not Worried About scope Malfunction Or fogging Up ! smokepolehall also uses the same scopes on his EXCAL's & he loves Them He was one that also recommended Them ! Take it easy GrumpyTom
Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kvjohndeere

kvjohndeere yes you can go and put forth a better quality scope on your bow, like most do on their rifles, Like you say, you pay good money for for your bow, why put a lesser scope on the bow. Well I am of the other mindset, why would you pay huge money for a scope where the most benifit you would receive from it can not be used with the crossbow.

What I mean is this. The higher end scopes are great for longer distances. You really only get to use the advantages out over 100 yards, that is just too far for crossbows. Yes they can be clearer and gather more light, but when I can't see though my scope any more, it is already too late to shoot legally. I have target shoot my bow after dusk (too late for hunting) just for practice in tough conditions and I got 10 ring results so the scope is clear enough for me.

I am not saying that you should not put the higher end scopes on your bow, if that is what you want, go for it, but you do not need it. Remember, crossbows range are usually only out to 50 yards, and shorter on deer.
The one Reason I got This Scope my manufacturer recommended it Plus it is A Actually A shotgun Scope For close range Plus My Parker is a 340 FPS at 150lb pull On crossbows There is alot of kinetic energy most people dont Realize ! Quote not like A Gun But when you squeeze that trigger your letting that string Go ! that was holding 150 pounds of pressure ! I talked To Parker XBOw Tech Support That Tests These Xbows & see said when shooting The XBOW The cross hairs in The Truglo Scpoe Actually came apart ! At least With Elite scope Im not Worried About scope Malfunction Or fogging Up ! smokepolehall also uses the same scopes on his EXCAL's & he loves Them He was one that also recommended Them ! Take it easy GrumpyTom
lol, smokepole shoots logs and eats grits, keep an eye on him!!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

............... Take it easy GrumpyTom
Why say that. I in no way put down your choice of scopes or attack anyone. BUt what I did was give an opinion that these higher quality scopes are not needed on crossbows and why I feel that way. Also your choice of a scope is not that high a quality as compared to what some have used (some use $1000 scopes). Sorry, but I do not like advice given to people that is not totally correct, I will atleast give my opinion.

You give a link to what you use and then you said that:
Plus it is A Actually A shotgun Scope For close range
when the manufacture, right on that page says that it is a RIFLE SCOPE. When it is a shotgun scope, they usually call it a shotgun scope, not a riflescope. Maybe you posted an incorrect link. You also said:
The XBOW The cross hairs in The Truglo Scpoe Actually came apart ! At least With Elite scope Im not Worried About scope Malfunction Or fogging Up
Well I do not know about the truglo scope, but I use a 150lb crossbow and used a rifle scope for over 20 years before I had a problem with it and I think it was a transportation error that caused the dammage not shooting it. And my scope is the cheaper Tasco Pronhorn, which Bushnel now owns.

I am famular is bushnel as they are what I use and all what my family uses. The excalibur scope is, I believe a product of bushnel made for Excalibur. Not sure of todays scopes, but that is the way it used to be.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup i feel fer you guys and scope or sight problems. Do like my self and my great friend and mentors awshucks & DNK. We have more than one Cb to use in case something boogers on us![&o][][:-][8D]
Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 PM

I called Excal today about my scope and they are sending another out immediately. All I have to do is box up the old one when the new one gets here and send it back. I put the sight on the bow and took some shots with it before I went out this evening. Even with open sights the bow hits acorns at 20.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM

....they came out with the Lumizone with the lighted reticals, but otherwise the same as the varizone....
I do not have my Varizone handy since it is on my Horton and that is at dads house, but isn't the Varizone a 32mm and the Lumizone a 40mm? I thought that was another advantage to the Lumizone. I am pretty sure they are different, at least in some way, since they sell two different types of flip up caps?

So far I have been happy with the Excal Scopes, kinda. I have to remember what Don talks about when I say this, but I used to never have a problem with light on any of my scopes. I always ended up hunting natural funnels on the edges of woods and most of the time had the sunset in my favor. Never had any problems. But with my spot that I shot my buck in there is some areas that is real thick in there and there has been a couple of times on cloudy days I was unable to see and still had five or so minuets of legal time left. Never had a deer come by during this, but was thinking of what Don said about scopes on both of these occasions. Right now I say I am not interested in spending 200 bucks on a scope, at this point. But I also said in the past I never had a need for a range finder and that too is in my pack now! LOL!! But I would be hard pressed to use another scope, I love being nuts on at fifty yards and not wandering about hold over or under game. I know what marks do what and they are right on with my arrow and CB!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 AM

............... Take it easy GrumpyTom
Why say that. I in no way put down your choice of scopes or attack anyone. BUt what I did was give an opinion that these higher quality scopes are not needed on crossbows and why I feel that way. Also your choice of a scope is not that high a quality as compared to what some have used (some use $1000 scopes). Sorry, but I do not like advice given to people that is not totally correct, I will atleast give my opinion.

You give a link to what you use and then you said that:
Plus it is A Actually A shotgun Scope For close range
when the manufacture, right on that page says that it is a RIFLE SCOPE. When it is a shotgun scope, they usually call it a shotgun scope, not a riflescope. Maybe you posted an incorrect link. You also said:
The XBOW The cross hairs in The Truglo Scpoe Actually came apart ! At least With Elite scope Im not Worried About scope Malfunction Or fogging Up
Well I do not know about the truglo scope, but I use a 150lb crossbow and used a rifle scope for over 20 years before I had a problem with it and I think it was a transportation error that caused the dammage not shooting it. And my scope is the cheaper Tasco Pronhorn, which Bushnel now owns.

I am famular is bushnel as they are what I use and all what my family uses. The excalibur scope is, I believe a product of bushnel made for Excalibur. Not sure of todays scopes, but that is the way it used to be.
Sorry If I came off in the wrong direction Grumpy Tom I was Just trying To give my opinion also & you are exactly right sorry if the wording on the scopes didnt come quite right I again I do apologize ! Kvjohndeere It works for me ! Im just like you Trying to help & support & not criticize our fellow XBOW Hunters! I was Just trying To Help Thats All Have A good one Grumpy Tom PM Me if you like !