Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Need some advice >

Need some advice

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need some advice

Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some advice

Well, on the 18th I had surgery to repair a labral tear in my right shoulder. Recovery is going okay, but I won't be drawing my compound again this season.

I'm going to get a crossbow, and I've had my eye on the Excalibur Exomax for a while. I almost bought it today, and I probably would have if they had had the crank in stock. That's an accessory I'll have to have.

Now that I'm thinking about it, how do Tenpoint crossbows stack up against Excalibur?? Besides Horton and Barnett, are there some other choices? I saw the Desert Striker (Stryker??)today. Sweet, but I don't want to spend $1,000. just on the x-bow itself. That's a bit much for me.

I could use some pointers.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need some advice

tenpoints are great crossbows. Although the less expensive ones have a heavy trigger by my standards. I recommend the excalibur but I am biased because I own one. I have owned a tenpoint too. Excals are nice because you can change the string yourself and adjust it as it stretches. I am a fan of keeping it simple so it works well for me. I like the open sights they come with. The excal will be a lot wider though because of the recurve limbs.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

forgot to mention the parkers are nice too.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 PM

I have the Excal Vortex and think it is top notch, also have two Horton's and they are fine also. But I like the recurve design of my Excal. On a side not I have never used a Excal cranking aid, but hear Ten points cranks are second to none! Alot of guys have bought the Excal's and then mounted the TenPoint crank on them with no problems or modifications. Best CB and the best crank in one! LOL!!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the Equinox (Egomax with thumbhole stock) but it was to much for me without cocker. I could draw it but about 6 times then my bum shoulder ached. I got a cocker but didn't like to use it. So I got the Vortex. It's one inch shorter and 25 lbs less draw weight, it does make a difference for me. Cocking with a ratcheting aid is a bummer. Slow and noisy but if you have to, you have to. Suggest you hold off until the wing mends, then determine how much you can pull before investing in bow that needs a cocker. And by all means try a cocker. I'm guessing you won't want to go through the hassle if you don't have to.
I also shoot a Parker Terminator. Great bow. 150 draw weight. Much easier to cock. It's smaller all around. Great safety that makes dry firing very hard to do. It's my stand bow because it's easier to handle in a tree. It has a great trigger. The downside is that it is a compound. I like to mess with the gear so making strings and cables is actually fun for me. If you have to rely on someone else to string yours it will cost you over $50 for just the stings and cables, plus labor. Same goes for Ten Point.
For ease of maintenance, Excal gets the nod hands down. Also for accuracy if you get you bolts set up with the right FOC. Ask yourself if you need a bow strong enough to kill an elephant. If the answer is no, you may want to have a look at the Vortex, Phoenix or even the Vixen. I though it was macho to get the biggest, fastest. Realized it's overkill on deer, harder on strings, bolts and targets and really not that much fun to shoot either if you have to crank beteen shots. Good luck.
Since you excluded the Sryker, I would recommend Excal. Parker and Ten Point. All three are great bows and have great customer service. I'd shy away from Barnett and Horton FWIW.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Cossack said is strong advise,if you should decide to sell later
you would not have much of a problem moving any of the three,try
all you can before you decide,I lean towards Parkers myself but to
each his own,good luck on your choice!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a "Crankaroo" [Excal crank cocker] from Danny Miller for $89. Cossack said it all.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Spike

Don't know much about crossbows but I had a Parker nothing but trouble from day one bought an Equinox against Dan Millers advice I love it I can shoot it offhand better than the Parker off a rest I have the crankeroo I couldn't begin to cock it without that I couldn't even hand cock a 150 Parker . Give Dan a call the prices are right and the service is great the bow came the scope was mounted and the bow was on the paper . that is somewhat of an understatement 3 clicks to the left and I went hunting haven't changed the sight since 60 yards at my favorite target a old pop can which needs replaced a piece of cake shooting Dans carbon arrows seems to bring out the best in the bow it's wide .it's long which I needed Parker was to short in the stock and some say loud but I don't think it's much worse than the Parker and I have to say it does shoot hard Have fun
Old 10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the AcuDraw on my Profusion,not a speed breaker but it works.....
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, fellas.... thanks for the advice. I went yesterday and got a chance to shoot the Bowtech Stryker. I couldn't believe how heavy that thing was. As far as FPS goes, it's all it's cracked up to be. I got the owner to let me shoot the Stryker through the chrono.... 402 fps. I ALMOST got it, but just couldn't part with the $1600. for the package. I did like the fact that you can use thecrank to let it down, but as Cossack said, I'm not hunting elephants.

I almost went with the Excalibur Exomax, then the Phoenix, but didn't care for the way the crank that I would have to use seemed to be in the way on the Excalibur line. Fantastic crossbows, though.

I decided on a Tenpoint ProSlider. With the crank integrated, it seemed to fill the bill. Brought it home yesterday, sighted it in today. I had my wife helping me. She's been fantastic.... letting me gear up for bow season with a Drenalin, then after surgery, understanding and letting me get the x-bow.... I need to order some flowers and take her to dinner.

Quick Reply: Need some advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.