Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 3yr drought came to a end >

3yr drought came to a end

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

3yr drought came to a end

Old 10-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 3yr drought came to a end

Finally after 3 yearsbetweengetting a deer with the xbow i broke the silence tonight and got to give the horton legend xt175 its first taste of blood. Had a nice doe come in at 4:05 i wasnt even set up yet i was just putting my groundblind up had my bow leaned up against a log didnt even have a bolt on it. The deer just stood there and watched me it slowly walked behind a tree so i made my move grabbed the bow and knelt down behind a log and here she came i slowly reached up grabbed a bolt tossed it in quick and i was ready. Here she came at 18yd she stopped broadside2 lick herself than pulled her head up and looked aroundso i settled in and let it rip she jumped and did a back flip thrashed around for like 30seconds and laid there bedded down i couldnt figure out what happened so i recocked and slowly walked up towards her here somehow when she jumped she put her head down and i hit her right behind the eye and exited right out the back of the head not the shot i wanted to say the least. Meanwhile the deer still wasnt dead. I could see it taking big gasps so i figured id just wait a few seconds for it to expire. About that time it jumped up ran 25yd out in the field and stood there staggering meanwhile im really confused because the whole back of its skull is missing. So i grabbed the bow and gave it a good one right through the lungs in 5 seconds it was all over. I know my shot wasnt ideal nor was it what i had planned on but thats what happens in hunting. I have to say though i am thoroughly impressed with rage broadheads. I used a rage for the finisher and wow the damage was devastating to say the least. I've never seen holes like that made with broadheads before. Spitfires performed flawlessly on the first shot also making the kind of hole we've come to expect. All in all it was a good evening i also had 17 turkeys within 25yd of me turkey season opened today but i had a dilemmai had 1 bolt left in my quiver 5 does in the field and the rutis just starting to kick in so i held off. Which i now regret because i never saw a buck but hey i got what i went out for and gotto spend a beautiful evening in penns woods so its all great!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 AM

Default RE: 3yr drought came to a end

Sometimes bad things happen, but at least it turned out well and the deer was harvested. Me and a friend discussed a head shot once, at least you have some data for us now! LOL!! Any way you can get some pics of the head and show us, or pm them to me if you do not want to post them? Just curious is all.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had to shoot a deer more than once with a bow. Once they get that adrenaline pumping they are much harder to kill.
Where did you hit her with the first shot. Would she have been dead in 5 minutes anyway.
Atta Boy and a nice buck must be right around the corner.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good of shot you are. Things happen beyond our control. Congrats on the Doe and many tasty meals!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats,you will get that turkey,best of luck on the rest of the season!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I have pics of the damage but i dont reallywant to offend anyone by posting them cuz they are extremly graphic. If you fellas wana see em though i can post em.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Send them to me in a PM, I would like to see, if they are on a Photo site, just pm me the links to them.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

WOW! that's one crazy story!!!! LOL! Glad I wasn't there!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:31 AM

ive seen it happen my father shot a nice buck in the head right when he pulled the trigger the deer turned its head and pow arrow stuck through both sides of the head and in a dead run he went never found the deer. Amazing!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHANEBOW

ive seen it happen my father shot a nice buck in the head right when he pulled the trigger the deer turned its head and pow arrow stuck through both sides of the head and in a dead run he went never found the deer. Amazing!
Did you ever take reading and comprehension in school? Do your self a favour and re-read the post slowly! Maybe your father did that on purpose but deerslayer did not!