Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cotton Balls

Old 10-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cotton Balls

Talk to me re checking for cracks with cotton balls. I recently noticed that the paint (or whatever it is) on the outside of my Excal limbs is just a bit rougher in several spots on both limbs, approximately in the area where they bend. I can feel it by running my finger over it (feels like tiny goose bumps) and it looks less shiny in those spots. Are these cracks, or just my imagination running wild? How do I check for sure. Has not been dry fired but I do shoot nearly every day thoughout the summer.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cotton Balls

Just take a cotton ball drag it along limb, if any splinters are there they will grab the cotton and leave fibers you can see. If it doesn't pull fibers out its most likely paint flaking.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 AM

probably just paint flaking off. No big deal but do what is menchoned above and if no fibers get pulled off you are in good shape
Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

There is also a coating over the paint that has been known to crack peel and bubble, it is normal and has no affect on the bow, I got mine flaking once during a dry-fire.Drove it right to the Excal factory to confirm, they replaced the limbs anyways.